Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083568 Posts in 71818 Topics- by 19123 Members - Latest Member: AU Tico
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) YAMAHA "Making Trombones" video with Douglas Yeo
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: YAMAHA "Making Trombones" video with Douglas Yeo  (Read 1926 times)
yeodoug

View Profile WWW
« on: Oct 29, 2004, 09:04AM »

The video I made at the Yamaha factory in Japan this past summer, "Making Trombones" is now available for viewing on the Yamaha website. Click HERE to see the video.

The video is 14 minutes long and requires Flashplayer 7 to view it.  Two versions are available: if you have a dial up connection, click on the 56k version; if you have broadband or a cable modem, click on the 300k version. If you don't have Flashplayer (it is free) there is a link on the video page so you can download it.

In addition to taking a tour of the factory and talking about how Yamaha trombones are made, you can see me with the Yamaha prototype F bass trombone that Yamaha recently made for me as well as my playing several other Yamaha instruments including a buccin and a copy of the seven Bell, six-valved trombone made by Adolphe Sax.

-Douglas Yeo

Douglas Yeo   

Professor of Trombone, Arizona State University (2012-2016) - retired
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra (1985-2012) - retired

www.thelasttrombone.com
BoneyW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2004, 09:19AM »

Great, I'm gonna watch it. I enjoyed your post about this and the F-bass on Ben's forum.
Woolworth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2004, 09:57AM »

Thank you, Doug.  That was a very neat video to watch.  I especially liked watching/listening to you play the F bass.  If the sound is that magnificent coming from my little computer speaker I can only imagine how breathtaking it must be "live"!

I will definitely share this with my students.

Rich Woolworth
Trombonist, Composer, Arranger, Clinician, Bandleader

www.matrixmusic.com
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2004, 04:57PM »

Excellent video!!

Now, I do have an interesting question for you....  Now that Yamaha has made a long Bass in F for you, and Steve Shires while at Osmun made a an F Bass with a double slide that you have toured with, which slide arrangement do you prefer?  I am thinking about trying to make myself an F slide compatible with my basses, and am unsure of long F or double slide.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
yeodoug

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2004, 05:57PM »

Quote from: "elmsandr"
Now, I do have an interesting question for you....  Now that Yamaha has made a long Bass in F for you, and Steve Shires while at Osmun made a an F Bass with a double slide that you have toured with, which slide arrangement do you prefer?  I am thinking about trying to make myself an F slide compatible with my basses, and am unsure of long F or double slide.

There is a thread about the F bass trombone Yamaha made for me on Ben van Dijk's bass trombone forum at http://www.basstrombone.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=812.  Read through the thread, while you will see some photos right away, there are more photos deeper into the thread.

To answer your question directly, I'd say the single slide F bass is - by far - the better solution.  Double slide trombones have problems, mostly with alignment.  Four tubes need to be braced together as well.  The F bass that Steve Shires made (he made it while he was working at Osmun Music; that horn is owned by Osmun and is available for rental from them http://www.osmun.com  - many players have used it over the years) was cobbled together with two Bach 50B slides and a bell Osmun had made.  The problem is that the instrument is just far too long for the slide to be a single bore - it needs to be a dual bore for something that long.  Now that I have this new F bass from Yamaha, I don't expect I'll be using the Osmun F bass any more.

I'm very comfortable using trombones with a handle - I play a G bass and an F bass sackbut and, as they say, "the secret is in the wrist."  The new Yamaha F bass has a terrific slide and the handle is substantial enough that it is easy to hold but also flexible to move.  See more photos on the thread on Ben's forum referenced above.

-Douglas Yeo

Douglas Yeo   

Professor of Trombone, Arizona State University (2012-2016) - retired
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra (1985-2012) - retired

www.thelasttrombone.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: