Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

936267 Posts in 61369 Topics- by 14852 Members - Latest Member: Auto5man
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Desca Stands  (Read 2540 times)
Dubya

View Profile WWW
« on: Nov 24, 2004, 02:39PM »

http://www.descahome.com/musicstand.html#

Is there any place to get them cheaper? It's a great stand, I'm sure, and I like the portability, but $99?! And the strap is $16!

Also, if you have used one and do/don't think they're worth it, feel free to chime in. I've got my eye on a $30 Belmonte, so I'll probably get that unless the Desca is really worth it.

"It has to mean something every time you play."

-Frank Rosolino

2olbones
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2004, 04:08PM »

I just bought a "musician's friend" portable stand from Giardinelli, for about $30 I think.  I haven't seen a Desca, but the picture in the web site does not compare favorably with the stand I just bought.
Dubya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2004, 06:13PM »

Is it this one?
http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/g=accessories/search/detail/base_pid/450210/

How small does it fold up?

"It has to mean something every time you play."

-Frank Rosolino

deanmccarty
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2004, 09:02PM »

The Desca stand is extremely stable and can take quite a load.  But... If you're not going to put a large dance band book on it then I'd go with one of the K&M stands... they are quite good as well.

I have both and use both quite a bit.  The Desca stand is very durable and will probably outlast 3 or 4 of any other stand brand... but it is expensive.  For my uses it's worth it... but if you're just looking for a small stand go with the K&M.

And... to answer your other question... you can only get them from Desca.
NYTrombonist
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2004, 01:52PM »

www.ratstands.com
actikid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:20PM »

I just received my Desca stand today.  It really isn't what I expected.  I had expected it to be rather lightweight, like the Peterson stand.  This thing is quite heavy -- it seems almost as heavy as a standard Manhasset stand.  If you are looking for feather weight, keep looking.

But in all other respects I am impressed -- even amazed at this product.  It is exceptionally clever and also extremely well built.  Set-up time is faster than most upscale portable stands.  You can have this ready to play in 20 seconds easily.

Talk about sturdy.  The leg assembly is really industrial grade with a spring loaded mechanism that locks the legs positively in place.  I wish the legs were just a little longer.  Desca could easily have made them 2 inches longer without changing anything.

The most amazing thing is the three-tube telescoping body.  It seems sturdy enough to hold up the heaviest books, yet is easy to adjust with one free hand and a foot on the legs.  With the triple tube, this adjusts from knee height to a very tall standing height -- surely a comfortable playing height for a person 6-foot-5.

The desk is wider than a Manhasset -- it holds 3 letter size sheets side by side with only about an inch hanging off each side.  And I love the built-in tray -- perfect for pencils, spray bottles, glasses, or maybe even a small plunger.

I didn't think this would be worth $99, but it is.

==============

On edit, a friend ordered the RAT stand.  We decided to buy one of each so we could compare.  We used them on a gig Wednesday night.  Short answer, they are both terrific.  The Desca has a table that is a little wider, I believe.  The RAT sets up more quickly -- 3 seconds and you're ready to go.  The Desca feels about 20% heavier to me.  The Desca collapses to a much smaller volume -- the RAT table is solid, does not fold at all.  They both raise to a height way above a standard Manhasset.  They are both solid, but I might give the RAT a slight advantage in footprint stability.  They will both hold up very heavy books without giving you that slow sinking feeling.

I expect the RAT would be more durable.  I think you'd need to be careful to keep the Desca stored in its cardboard box when carying it around because the plastic table is vulnerable.

They both are first rate products, and clever designs.  You can't go wrong either way.  I'd think the RAT would be a bit more annoying to cart around because it is not a convenient shape.  The Desca is not exactly small and light, but its packed shape could easily strap onto the side of a gig bag and not get in the way.

Where was Blackwater on the morning of September 11, 2001?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: