Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073295 Posts in 71204 Topics- by 18864 Members - Latest Member: yodaman32
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentAccessories(Moderator: slide advantage) Brass Ark's Vintage Replica Leadpipes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brass Ark's Vintage Replica Leadpipes  (Read 51958 times)
MaestroHound

View Profile
« on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:10PM »

I thought I'd start a thread on this line, as I have seen posts about them here and there, but not yet a thread of it.

This: http://www.brassark.com/leadpipes.html

I have a "1960 Mt. Vernon 50" bass trombone leadpipe (with optional threads) and I will have to sing the highest praise about it. It is easily the best balanced bass trombone leadpipe I have ever played.

I use it with a Kanstul 1662i. I have been looking for a leadpipe that could make it the best orchestral bass trombone possible. This leadpipe instantly tamed the sound that tended to get hot rather easily, and gave it a great focus as well. It seems to have a relatively tight venturi, which I am sure is helping the focus.

It is so good and versatile, I promptly sold off all but one of the Kanstul pipes that came with the horn when I bought it used. Only one I kept was the GR2, for times I want the hottest sound out of it.

I loved their uncompromising attitudes as well - I ordered what was their second batch of leadpipes since they started production. Noah told me that he was not satisfied with the quality of brass he received for this batch, and would be making pipes with a new brass supply as soon as it arrived. This caused a longer wait, but it was so worth it, and I was just impressed how much he cared about the quality.

I'd be very much interested to hear about any of Noah/Brad's other leadpipes (or about the same one from different perspectives, too, of course).

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:23PM »

I've been using the MV 50 replica pipe in my '72 50B fitted with Shires axials for a few months now. I've used several pipes in this set-up before that worked well (Shires B2, Kanstul 169, Bach "open", Minick "shorty") but this pipe works GREAT. The response is fantastic, even sound from loud to soft top to botttom, a nice centered rich core to the sound. It really makes the horn come alive.

The craftsmanship and materials are first rate. Highly recommended.

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
Just Ken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:40PM »

I've been using the MV 50 replica pipe in my '72 50B fitted with Shires axials for a few months now. I've used several pipes in this set-up before that worked well (Shires B2, Kanstul 169, Bach "open", Minick "shorty") but this pipe works GREAT. The response is fantastic, even sound from loud to soft top to botttom, a nice centered rich core to the sound. It really makes the horn come alive.

The craftsmanship and materials are first rate. Highly recommended.

Could you compare and contrast the Bach "open" pipe to Kanstul pipe?  I have the Bach open pipe.
BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:56AM »

Both the 169 and MV copies are longer than the Bach open. They feel a bit tighter and (to me) are more centered, even and responsive.

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
Tobbe

"Me and my two grandkids"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:06AM »

I've played the Brass Ark MV 50 copy a few months now.
I just love it!
I can sure recommend it!

Using it in my Bach/Thayer with a Shires slide...

Torbjörn Lundberg
bass trombone
Gävle SO, Sweden
http://www.basstrombone.info
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:30AM »

Has anyone done comparisons between the Kanstul vintage replica pipes and the ones that Brass Ark is having produced?

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:36AM »

Has anyone done comparisons between the Kanstul vintage replica pipes and the ones that Brass Ark is having produced?

I believe they are all modeled after different examples of vintage pipes, so no simple comparison there, but as I wrote in the OP I had promptly sold off all but one of my Kanstul bass pipes after getting, and spending ample time to know, the MV50 pipe from Noah. It simply worked better for my playing in more situations. The ones I had at that point were OL, 62, C, GR, GR2 (this one I kept for variety's sake), Shires B2N, and B2SS.

wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:05AM »

First of all the the pipes that Noah is having made are excellent in several ways. The Bach 50 pipe sounds just like a Bach. The mouthpiece also fits in the proper distance. Truly a fantastic. The Kanstul pipes vary too much for my tastes. I borrowed a friend's 169 Kanstul pipe to try in my Holton. Pipe played fairly well so I decided to order one. I had to order directly from Kanstul as The Horn Guys were out and when my pipe arrived it was poorly made. My mouthpiece only fit in about 3/4 of an inch and it wobbled around quite a bit. I tried 2 other mouthpieces and the same thing occurred. I remember the Kanstul pipes being an issue years ago when I tried one of the bass trombones. For some reason they just like to build them so the mouthpiece sticks out-I don't really get it.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
mmclemore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:08AM »

Has anyone tried the 62H pipe that Noah offers?

Michael D. McLemore
Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:32AM »

Thinking about it. I may soon. He said it tightens up the sound and would be good for TIS basses that "sound dark in general," and "helps get a bit more bite on it." At the time it wasn't what I was looking for, but it may be a candidate to replace my GR2.

So, I would be interested to hear from those who tried it as well.

furry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:26PM »

When I get the extra time and money, I'll have one of Noah's Bach 42 repicala pipe installed in my holton.

I'm curious if anyone has any face time on his new .547 pipes. Would love to hear their thoughts.
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:40PM »

If only my 50B had a removable leadpipe... it is really old and I am scared to have it removed. I have heard horror stories and my tech hates pulling pipes...

Why am I not practicing?????
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:59PM »

I am interested in the 62H pipe too. At least to hear what people think. I might need something a little brighter than my Shires B3. That may do the trick.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
furry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:02PM »

If only my 50B had a removable leadpipe... it is really old and I am scared to have it removed. I have heard horror stories and my tech hates pulling pipes...

I had the same worries when I had with my 74' Bach 42B pipe when I got it pulled. Long story short, me and my tech were surprised that the pipe came out easy, not damaging the pipe or slide. Call it luck, or call it good tech work. Who knows...
Wade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:35AM »

I tried both Noah's MV50 and BH62 at the same time. For me the MV50 worked best in both my Thayer instrument and my TIS. The MV50 had great response and sound and the BH62 just wasn't quite right for me.

Wade

Sitka Fine Arts Camp
http://fineartscamp.org/
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:18AM »

I tried both Noah's MV50 and BH62 at the same time. For me the MV50 worked best in both my Thayer instrument and my TIS. The MV50 had great response and sound and the BH62 just wasn't quite right for me.

Wade

Can you elaborate a bit??

Slipmo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:55PM »

Thought I'd jump in here. Didn't notice this thread until just now.

My thoughts on the BH62H pipe. What this pipe does best is make a dull sounding 62H or similar get that extra bit of sparkle on the front of the notes. If you've ever played a stock Elkhart 62H, you probably know what I mean when I say they can be a bit veiled and stuffy sometimes. Personally, I think the combination of a red brass construction with bronze slide tubes and a TIS setup can yield a sonewhat floppy articulation and overall unfocused timbre. Having said that, the combination of these parts are what gives the 62H its classic sound. The genius of a Minick, Streucel or Herrick modified 62H was the way these guys changed the instrument to bring out the qualities that enhance and maximize the character of these parts, making the classic 62H sound we all know and love. Pretty much every old 62H being used by a professionals in LA have had some kind of mod by one of these guys.

The MV50 pipe we make is fantastic. We chose this pipe to copy because it's so unique and unlike the majority of Bach 50 pipes, it doesn't have any holes in its partial slotting. If you're looking for one bass pipe to do everything, this is a good place to look. The 62 pipe is more of a specialized part and it's not for all bass bones. I find it works best for TIS trombones with gold brass slide tubes. It will give you the classic TIS fatty sizzle but also give you accuracy on quiet stylistic passages.

Hope that helps!

Noah Gladstone
Trombonist, Los Angeles

Brassark
New, Used, Vintage and Rare Brass-winds
www.brassark.com
https://www.facebook.com/TheBrassArk

Sackbuttist
Tesserae, Los Angeles
www.tesserae-la.com
Slipmo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:48PM »

We have a limited supply of C230 rose brass for lead pipes. Just thought I'd post a photo comparison. It's hard to see the color of the rose brass when it's polished, but you'll notice the subtle difference.

Noah Gladstone
Trombonist, Los Angeles

Brassark
New, Used, Vintage and Rare Brass-winds
www.brassark.com
https://www.facebook.com/TheBrassArk

Sackbuttist
Tesserae, Los Angeles
www.tesserae-la.com
chromebone

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:07PM »

Noah, what about the .547 pipes. Are they available yet? I'm most interested in the 1947 88h special pipe and the Herrick for my Minick 88H.
Jox

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:08PM »

How would the rose brass leadpipe differ in sound/feel compared to the standard one?

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
MM- University of Florida
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: