Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

953090 Posts in 62861 Topics- by 15313 Members - Latest Member: JMagana
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holton TR602 NOS - any good?  (Read 961 times)
TBoneRunner

View Profile
« on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:11PM »

I know a few dealers still have Holton TR602 horns unsold. These are the latter USA built trombones. Are they any good? There is only one online review I could find and it's not a favorable one:

"This trombone has been giving me problems with the slide. Take my word don't purchase this trombone it is a piece of junk. Some people even ask me how I play that instrument." (from buzzillions)

Funnily enough the dealer I contacted told me this: '...it is said to be the smoothest slide in the industry. It is said to be smoother than a Bach.'

Well, it's their job, isn't it? We can't blame them for that be it truth or not.

Any other opinions please?
TBoneRunner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2013, 12:50AM »

Anyone? Or just anyone to give me a hint why there is not a single reply?
Thanks.

To clarify: these were built at the Leblanc USA facilities in Kenosha as far as I understand before Leblanc shut down a few years ago.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2013, 01:28AM »

TR 602 was a student model.  The line about slides is pure BS.  It's every bit as good as a Bundy, and probably a little better.  But it's not going to replace a nice TR-156.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
TBoneRunner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:18AM »

Due to the volume of replies and also going through eBay completed listings for this particular model majority of which are below $100 I make a conclusion that it's "No Good" and while I don't know which line about the slide according to BG is BS I feel that the opinion given in the online review about it being "a piece of junk" could be quite honest.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:28AM »

I was referring to what the dealer said.

Good call Good!

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
tbonejeff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:17PM »

TBoneRunner,

The Holton TR602 trombones are your average student instruments. They are not uniformly bad - or good. Holton tried to build decent instruments and had a quality control system in place. Friends of mine were in supervisory positions at the Martin plant (which produced the student brass). That said, people produce the instruments and there are always variations. My own remembrance of the Holton student trombones (from when I was also an employee of Leblanc), is that they were okay student instruments, built to take a bit more abuse than most top-line horns are. Some had very good slides. Some didn't. If you spend $100 on a horn, untried, and get a POS you can't return, you can only chalk it up as a gambling loss/educational experience. If the seller told you it was a great horn, you now know not to trust that seller.

Jeff Peterson
TBoneRunner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:05AM »

Jeff, you are right about possible production inconsistencies of the student horns like this TR602 but then there are Yamaha YSL-354 and people swear by them. Not by these Holtons. I actually realized before asking my question that there had to be a reason for those few TR602 still unsold but I wanted to hear some opinions to compare with my speculative conclusion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: