Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066110 Posts in 70848 Topics- by 18678 Members - Latest Member: Huskertbn
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Small Bore Mouthpiece Recommendations?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Small Bore Mouthpiece Recommendations?  (Read 623 times)
RJMason

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:41PM »

Hey all,

I've been playing a Hammond 13M for almost seven years. I love this mouthpiece but it's starting to wear down after years of constant playing.

I could just order a fresh one again, but was wondering if there were any other options people enjoy playing? Any new companies doing a great job?

Greg Black pieces seem cool, but I only have seen large Bore 5G-4G pieces...any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've tried Denis Wick and warburton pieces and don't like them...Monette sounds good on small jazz stuff but that's it for me.

Also think I want something with more mass than the Hammond, but not into the Bach Megatones.

Thanks for your help!!

-RJM

Bach LT36BG
Conn 6H with Butler Carbon Fiber Slide
B.A.C. Custom King 3BF w/ Williams rotor
Lawler .500 Bore
Conn 72H
Olds Flugabone
ntap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:18PM »

Ray!  I have drawers of mouthpieces.  It's kind of a problem actually.  but come up and check some stuff out. I have a cool mouthpiece Greg made for me that mated a Bach 9 rim (flat 6.5ish) to a NY Bach 11C cup.  The throat might need to be opened up but it could be up your alley.  I also have a piece with similar specs that Bob Reeves made. 

daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:05PM »

If you like it, I would just get another one.

How exactly is it wearing out? I played the hell out of a Bach 5G for years, and it still looked great.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:48AM »

For small bore? You didn't mention exactly what genre of music you play, but you did make a reference to jazz. Even though what you are playing on now is about equal to a Bach 6.5 variety, you might wish to try a Bach 15C or a Bach 17C. I don't know what the exact specs are, but I observe that they both have a larger bore than my Bach 12C and they are both capable of a much larger sound than might be expected for their size. Maybe think of them as mini 6.5AL's in that regard. If you are patient, you can find them used on eBay from time-to-time. That's how I came by mine. I even have a used 22C coming to me to try out just for the heck of it.

WARNING! Using a mouthpiece that small will usually (but not always - depends upon the player) result in having an "old-school", more focused sound that is not really in vogue in a lot of circles at the moment. Some players report that they just can't play on anything much smaller than a 7C. And some report that they lose their lower range on a smaller mouthpiece, while others report that they do not. But that is why used mouthpieces from some source - like a music store or a friend - is a much safer bet. It allows one to experiment without the huge commitment of the steep price of a new mouthpiece.

So perhaps your take-away on my post would be not so much what size, but what sources to seek out where you can find and experiment at very low cost or free until you think you at least have it bracketed. You can buy a very small spray-bottle of disinfectant to stash in your 'bone case or gig bag, in the event you run across someone or some source having a mouthpiece of interest for your to try out. "Mouthpiece of interest". lol

...Geezer

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08AM »

Contact Doug Elliott. He can custom fit for your face and comfort, and set you up with a mouth piece that you will love.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:42AM »

I know that the OP isn't into Denis Wicks, but as a general point, the DW 9BS is a good 'piece to check out for anyone looking in the VB 6.5 size. It work well on a smaller horn, plays open without being an air hog. It has a more open back-bore than a 10CS and 6BS, and unusually has a conical throat.
Redthunder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:07 AM »

I play on a GB 11C with a gold rim and also own a 7C with a gold rim as well. I've also previously played a GB 5C. They are excellent pieces. I find they are very dark and focused, and mine are much heavier than most standard small shank pieces. When I compare the 11C to pieces of the same size of other manufacturers, I feel it's much harder to color the Greg Black comparatively. It can also feel as though my sound is getting lost at times in louder settings, but does not sound that way in front of the bell. They also have one of the most comfortable rims of any small bore piece I've played so far. 
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:23 PM »

--- snip ---
...the DW 9BS is a good 'piece...
It ... unusually has a conical throat.

What is the conical throat supposed to achieve, compared to a cylindrical one?

Thank you!
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:58 PM »

The Brass Ark Clarke would be a good piece to try. Much like the 13m and works on every single Horn I've tried it in. Sound is unbelievable, too.

-John
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:51 AM »

What is the conical throat supposed to achieve, compared to a cylindrical one?

Thank you!

I may be wrong about the "conical throat", must have read some duff info somewhere.. I can't see anything about it on the DW site, (hmm) It also looks like they've dropped the 10CS and the 12CS. Warburton pieces give the option of a straight or conical throat, maybe check their site?

On this old DW page, the 9BS and 9BL is compared to a 6.5A.. https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:01 AM »

We talk a lot about the cylindrical/conical throat design here: http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=89210.0

-John
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:46 AM »

Doug Elliot is a lifesaver.

Set up a skype, try it. I couldn't be happier. I'm playing on a much bigger rim than I thought I should be, but he's right. My high range improved, everything is a little easier now.

Maybe what you have is perfect. Maybe you need something smaller, something bigger... who knows? Doug knows.

Try it...

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:24 AM »

We talk a lot about the cylindrical/conical throat design here: http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=89210.0

What a great discussion! Thank you very much for bringing this up again!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: