Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072972 Posts in 71168 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: Lorenz H
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For techs : 2B bell on 607 II  (Read 1121 times)
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:17PM »

Some news :)

The Tempo bell appears to be longer than the 607 bell. And slightly smaller in diameter too. I cut the extra lenght off and now it's fitting perfectly in the receiver. Still have to do the G attachment modification tomorrow though...
Good! post pictures when you're done! (You'll have to upload them somewhere else though, this sites sotrage is full)

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
lou2cv

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2017, 02:54AM »

Yes !

I'm just a bit struggling to calculate how much tube lenght i should remove and how - King wrap is not so easy to modify !

lou2cv

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 07, 2017, 04:37AM »

So :)

Trombone is finished, and works perfect ! Really keen on practicing now...

stanzabone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Jun 07, 2017, 06:53AM »

Hey guys, thanks for your reviews :)

In fact yes, the Tempo bell is not "sterling" nickel, just nickel-plated. But definitely thicker. I've had a 2B before and i can tell the difference. With the same slide and mouthpiece, the Tempo bell sounds way brighter and is opening up literally forever before the sound cracks if you push lot of air through the horn. NOT the case of the 2B bell which gives up pretty quickly. I play regulary in salsa bands and the Tempo is absolutely the hamer !  Evil

I know that's purely a matter of personal taste and style, but i'm in love with this Tempo bell sound. I like clear and bright sound rather than dark and mellow tone. That's why i'd like to keep it !

Oh yes, I was a bit brief on my previous post. Definitely a plated bell on the old Tempo. I tried playing it in a few concert band rehearsals, but it wasn't really ideal for that, at least in that section &  group. Also, Doug's note about the intonation is something to be aware of. My other horn at the time was an 88h, so it was a big change to trade off between the two.

lou2cv's story sounds familiar; I believe the tech that did the work on mine went thru the same process. The final product looks very cool. Congrats & enjoy!

"Keep it greasy so it'll go down easy" - Frank Zappa
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 2017, 05:23AM »

Interesting, I was wondering how you would wrap the G attachment. I thought you might take the upper brace out and make one longer tube but that makes sense how you did it there.

Let us know how it plays. There are enough of each of these horns lying around with various broken components that someone else might try something similar in the future!

lou2cv

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 08, 2017, 06:08AM »

Yes, i first thought about laying one wrap aside and keep just one, but it appeared easier to do it like this. And it looks cool too i think :) The tuning slide is a bit short, approx. 1.5cm of lenght, but it's enough.

The horn plays pretty fine, i just notice a short difference in the sound feeling - the typical feel that a valve gives. Intonation changed a liiiiittle bit also, suprisingly in the middle register, bewteen  and  Gotta practice a bit to get used to it. Anyway it plays very fine, i'll try it out in some Salsa settings and see if it's still hammering the hell out of the dancefloor  Evil

By the way, would you guys recommend to lube the rotor with the Yamaha purple silicon lube ? Seems to work well so far, but i'm not sure that the thing remains clean.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 08, 2017, 06:16AM »

Most of us seem to like Hetman's (8 or 9, I think).

I have a sample of Mobil Velocite 10 that I got from the walls of an empty 20 liter container at a former place of employment.  That sample goes a long way.  But I wouldn't recommend buying a 20 liter container for personal use, unless I was supplying all the rotor trombones in France.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 08, 2017, 06:52AM »

I use hetman piston on my rotors, I've been told its the same as the lightest hetman rotor oil but I don't know that for sure.  Its worked fine on all the rotaries I've sued it on but I put it on just about every time I play, though I don't play every day now that I'm in a different career.

lou2cv

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2017, 03:58PM »

Ok thank you for your tips :)

Played my first salsa gig today and was pretty much OK, noticed no difference in the horn response or feeling after the modification ! Still sizzling.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: