Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072972 Posts in 71168 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: Lorenz H
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dumb questions about basses  (Read 2382 times)
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 01:39PM »

You could also use OE Thayer tubing since its meant for an instrument. The tuning slide bow is $25.  I don't see the tube or ferrule cost at the moment, but they aren't expensive. Especially if you're just buying only enough to make a tuning slide out of it.
That's probably a better idea. The hobby tubing is made in 1/32" increments, measured by the OUTER diameter. Trombone tubing is measured by the inner diameter. It's possible that hobby tubing would fit, but it would be the wildest stroke of luck if it did. Of course there's no guarantee that the Thayer tubing would fit either if it's not a Thayer valve wrap.

Brass repair, modifications, custom parts and instruments

http://brassmedic.com
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38AM »

If it's too big, buff it down, if it's too small, plate it thickly with nickel!  Pant

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
jackbird

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 10, 2017, 06:48PM »

Ok, I'm not so smart, so if this looks dumb, that's what I was going for.

Yes, that's electrical tape holding the tuning slide onto some tubes I bought from a hobby shop. I scored a Holton TR159 from someone local. I had to resort to the dark interwebz to buy some brass tubing, aparently the same stuff they use in nukelar reactors. Anyway, it cost me about $6 plus shipping which was via Brinks truck, so that was a couple hundred. But the tube is cheap.

Anyway, this arrangement is about 1-2 inches flat of an Eb with the trigger. And I have to say, this horn sounds honkin' down in the basement. And I'll definitely be the baddest cowboy at community band next week when I show up with a Bb/Eb fully chromatic single valve bass with a .547 top slide and 9" bell, and about two feet of gratuitous tubing hanging out the back. Watch out percussion section! I've got the Faxx 1.5G plugged in, and brother does this baby humm some pedals. You just follow the slide down. F is in 6th, of course, E in 7th, Eb is t1 C is about t4 + 1-2", B is out past 6th somewhere, but it's there, and it sounds great. Even with the electrical tape, this thing sounds amazing down low. Sell your Edwards to grandma, and pick up one of these things. Retake the true meaning of the word "hack".

Plus, you can tear it down in seconds and it fits in the case. Just bring another roll of electrical tape. I might actually get the next size up for tubing so I can gorrilla glue the tubes properly (oh, and hacksaw to the correct "faktry" tuning.)

Seriously, it sounds like a pro job, but only cost hack scratch.

Maybe I'll make another one, but see if I can get rose brass tubes to warm up the buzz saw a bit. I'm going into business to sell hack kits.

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun 10, 2017, 11:30PM »

:D

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jun 11, 2017, 12:11AM »

Yes, that's electrical tape holding the tuning slide onto some tubes I bought from a hobby shop. I scored a Holton TR159 from someone local. I had to resort to the dark interwebz to buy some brass tubing, aparently the same stuff they use in nukelar reactors. Anyway, it cost me about $6 plus shipping which was via Brinks truck, so that was a couple hundred. But the tube is cheap.
I'm glad you like how it plays but the electrical tape makes me cry on the inside :cry:

When I purchased my early TR185 the owner included two little tubes maybe 2 inches long each that function like an old school 50B2 D slide extended for the Bach 50B2 bE slide. Plug the two little tubes into the F attachment and plunk the original F slide into it and I get a Eb valve! No electrical tape required :D

Holton TR 185 1960's, Doug Elliott LB
Shires Dependent TruBores 2010's, Doug Elliott LB
King 3B 1980's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
jackbird

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jun 11, 2017, 04:37AM »

I'm glad you like how it plays but the electrical tape makes me cry on the inside :cry:

When I purchased my early TR185 the owner included two little tubes maybe 2 inches long each that function like an old school 50B2 D slide extended for the Bach 50B2 bE slide. Plug the two little tubes into the F attachment and plunk the original F slide into it and I get a Eb valve! No electrical tape required :D

Ho, well, that's some fancy hoochie goochie, pre-made extensions, and all. Pshaw! I only used electrical tape because I was out of silver duct tape. Well, and because the tuning slide didn't fit inside the tube, so I couldn't glue it properly. But this was an exercise in compromise, sorry to offend.

I can almost play the Bartok gliss, just need to tape on extensions to the main slide to get two more positions, a piece of rope to reach the slide in 9th position, and I'm set. I think I'm on to something. If anyone wants me to modify your horn, just let me know. Cheap prices.

I showed my neighbor and he thought it was great, you know, for every time that gliss comes up in community band.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 11, 2017, 05:21AM »

I showed my neighbor and he thought it was great, you know, for every time that gliss comes up in community band.

What kind of Community Band plays anything with a Bartok Gliss? 

Although I've seen some glisses from D to G (in the staff).  Do you have that one?  That's where a G attachment can be really useful.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
jackbird

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jun 11, 2017, 05:45AM »

What kind of Community Band plays anything with a Bartok Gliss? 

Although I've seen some glisses from D to G (in the staff).  Do you have that one?  That's where a G attachment can be really useful.

Well, see, that's the thing. Community band should really play more Bartok transcriptions.

D to G? No, I can't do that without another roll of tape. If the trombone were just assembled in little half step increments, we could do just about anything. I'd have to cut the horn up and then tape it back together, and who has time for that?
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jun 11, 2017, 07:43AM »

Well, see, that's the thing. Community band should really play more Bartok transcriptions.

D to G? No, I can't do that without another roll of tape. If the trombone were just assembled in little half step increments, we could do just about anything. I'd have to cut the horn up and then tape it back together, and who has time for that?

Why not just replace that rear tuning slide with a second handslide? You could get out to at least 6th position, giving you a full-octave gliss!! Evil
jackbird

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jun 11, 2017, 09:09AM »

Why not just replace that rear tuning slide with a second handslide? You could get out to at least 6th position, giving you a full-octave gliss!! Evil
Youd have to reposition the mouthpiece so you have a righ and left hand slide. You'd look like a giant martini glass with an olive.

Or you could have a beam with a pulley so you could operate the second slide behind your back with a rope. Who needs a trombone with valves when you could just have two slides.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: