Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069760 Posts in 70993 Topics- by 18771 Members - Latest Member: schaarea
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Denis Wick , measurement accuracy .
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Denis Wick , measurement accuracy .  (Read 669 times)
tbarh

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2017, 03:12AM »

Hi

Does anyone know how accurate the specs listing of the Wick pieces are ?
The listings of the rim id are very specific, compared to Bach for instance which are rather roughly .

Thanks !

Trond
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:00AM »

I note that the width spec for my DW 9BS has grown by 2mm on the new web site, as compared to https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf

MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:59AM »

Most of the DW mouthpieces I've measured have been older rather than newer. In my observation the average margin of error from the published specs is of a similar order to other manufacturers, which includes Bach. More decimal places does not equal more accuracy.

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:17AM »

More decimal places does not equal more accuracy.

I didn't say that it did, more to point out that DW has changed a printed specification. Which has me wondering, have they changed the spec' of of the 'piece, of have they just changed the point on the rim at which they measure the diameter?

In general, if most of the manufactures are using CNC machines properly, the variations should be minimal across the board?
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:23AM »

Was replying to the OP, not seeking to clarify your post...

Certainly things are much more accurate now than they were. But they don't achieve the consistency implied by the hundredth of a mm specifications. But then, having variety within a size offers potential to 'dial in' to a particular variant within that size that really suits you. Swings and roundabouts.

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:52PM »

And you are trying to measure a curved surface

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2017, 07:04PM »

I have 2 3ALs, from a very long time ago and a new CNC piece. They are basically completely different mouthpieces, with different weights, lengths, rim widths, sizes, cup sizes, and throats.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2017, 09:18PM »

In general, the Wicks I have seen and measured from different eras are pretty consistent.  But they may have actually changed some specs, I don't know about that.

Some manufacturers products have virtually no relationship to the published specs... CNC manufactured or not.

I have seen some that are .020" or even more off at the inner rim diameter, both smaller and larger than specs.  That's a lot...  And therefore, any comparisons to "similar" size mouthpieces are completely invalid.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2017, 03:57AM »

But they may have actually changed some specs, I don't know about that.

This exactly the point I was trying convey here..

" I note that the width spec for my DW 9BS has grown by 2mm on the new web site, as compared to https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf "

tbarh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2017, 02:42AM »

Thanks for the replies!
Much appreciated!

Trond
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2017, 01:43PM »

Back in the day Wicks did vary a bit, but not that much, but these days they seem to be very consistent....... in contrast to Bachs that seem to vary a lot........
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2017, 01:47PM »

I have seen some that are .020" or even more off at the inner rim diameter, both smaller and larger than specs.  That's a lot...  And therefore, any comparisons to "similar" size mouthpieces are completely invalid

I wonder if that's for marketing... getting people to try out a certain "size" and they get that "wow this plays (smaller/larger) than the same size from brand X" where someone may not typically be enticed to try m'pce if they knew the real specs.

Just a random thought.

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: