Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086751 Posts in 71922 Topics- by 19223 Members - Latest Member: Adamgtrombonetrumpet87
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) US states and cities thumbing their collective noses at Trump
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: US states and cities thumbing their collective noses at Trump  (Read 937 times)
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« on: Jun 02, 2017, 02:22PM »

Now this. It is refreshing and encouraging to know that there are enough smart people in this country who will stand up against the inanity of Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/climate/american-cities-climate-standards.html?_r=0

Good! Good!
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2017, 02:48PM »

Now this. It is refreshing and encouraging to know that there are enough smart people in this country who will stand up against the inanity of Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/climate/american-cities-climate-standards.html?_r=0

Good! Good!

"It is a move that experts say could be illegal under the Constitution."

It will be interesting to see how this works out. I think that if they want to throw their money away on nonsense, then let them. However, the normal way things work, or should work, is that our government, run by duly elected members, are the ones who deal with international issues, and let the cities and states deal with the domestic issues. But that never stopped a liberal.  :D

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
BassBoneBlanton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2017, 03:05PM »

Can somebody explain to me why this is such a bad thing? If our local goverments are taking it upon themselves to fulfill the parameters set by the accord then why must the left make such a big deal of it? Is it because they absolutely despise our president and are obligated to hate every move he makes? Or is it an actual problem that is sure to end the world?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2017, 03:19PM »

For the last 8 years the Conservatives spent all their energy opposing EVERY move the President made.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and the Liberals and Moderates will spend all their energy opposing EVERY move the President makes.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2017, 03:21PM »

It will be interesting to see how this works out. I think that if they want to throw their money away on nonsense, then let them. However, the normal way things work, or should work, is that our government, run by duly elected members, are the ones who deal with international issues, and let the cities and states deal with the domestic issues. But that never stopped a liberal.  :D

Caring for the environment is hardly 'nonsense'

Duly elected. Right. Trump is hands down the most unbalanced and incompetent president in my lifetime.

smh

But then again I expected this from you. Complete with an obligatory insult of liberals. You just never stop do you?  Yeah, RIGHT.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2017, 04:12PM »

On this issue Trump is out of step with most Americans, as well as the rest of the world.

* 62% if Americans believe climate change has already begun.

* 68% of Americans' believe the cause of global warming is human activity.

* More and more Americans are worrying about climate change;- 46% a great deal, 21% a fair amount, 18% only a little, 16% not at all.

* The majority of Americans disagree with the way Trump intends to spend their money and are in favour of protecting the environment over producing energy supplies. 59% favour expenditure on the environment against 34% favouring development of energy supplies.

* On the best use of Federal resources, 72% favour solar wind power, 67% favour tougher emission standards for industry, 46% favour oil exploration on federal land and 46% favour development of nuclear power.

* Even Trump's voter base largely supports the Paris treaty! Good!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-03/trump-paris-decision-out-of-step-with-us-public-opinion/8583088

All of this underlines the OP's statement and gives the numbers to the Subject of this post. And as far as the rest of the world is concerned, the numbers are even greater in favour of the Paris Climate Agreement and how their own governments are correctly spending their money. There is a minority, and getting less each day, who still disagree with the action the world is taking against global climate change. Trump is one of these nut jobs.

P.S. I wish some American developers would put some more time into the proper development of MS Windows 10. I have nothing but problems trying to post on the forum these days.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
BassBoneBlanton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05:05PM »

^Even so just because the US is pulling out of the deal doesn't mean we're just giving up. The US has lead the world in lowering our co2 since 2015 (According to Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2016/06/19/the-u-s-leads-all-countries-in-lowering-carbon-dioxide-emissions/ ) and I don't think we're going to be leaving that no.1 spot just because we're letting ourselves decide what we do about the climate instead of letting an international agreement tell us what to do.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05:16PM »

^Even so just because the US is pulling out of the deal doesn't mean we're just giving up. The US has lead the world in lowering our co2 since 2015 (According to Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2016/06/19/the-u-s-leads-all-countries-in-lowering-carbon-dioxide-emissions/ ) and I don't think we're going to be leaving that no.1 spot just because we're letting ourselves decide what we do about the climate instead of letting an international agreement tell us what to do.

Here ... you might want to familiarize yourself with this before you try to play the apologist about it.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
BassBoneBlanton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05:52PM »

So basically the PCA is an agreement between nations to lower emissions and you progress by meeting goals set by your self and if you don't meet those goals nothing happens. Got it. Its like a big game that you make up as you go! Sounds fun!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2017, 06:11PM »

So basically the PCA is an agreement between nations to lower emissions and you progress by meeting goals set by your self and if you don't meet those goals nothing happens. Got it. Its like a big game that you make up as you go! Sounds fun!

And how many of these signatories do you think would sign an agreement where there is enforcement and penalties?  Probably only a very few.  Certainly not China or India.  Nor Trump, for that matter.

Yes, this is half a loaf.  But given that if we do nothing we will flood the coastal cities (think Mar-A-Lake-O) and possibly cause our own extinction within the next hundred years or so.  I think the consequences of doing nothing are much more dire and even a half-hearted effort should be tried.

Are you one of the ones who will be SCREAMING at the Government to DO SOMETHING when half of Louisiana disappears under the rising sea levels?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2017, 08:19PM »

Is it because they absolutely despise our president and are obligated to hate every move he makes?
Yeah, I'll go along with this, with one exception.  We are not obligated to hate every move he makes.  However, he has made it easy for it to seem that way wherein every move he has made so far is utterly incomprehensible, inhuman and utterly deplorable.

To be quite honest, I have stepped in dog poop I appreciate more than Trump.  If you support him you are as disgusting as he is.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2017, 04:25AM »

Meanwhile, the "Leader of the Free World" continues to hand Drumpf his ass with spot on trolling.........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-trolls-trump-apos-corrected-054549826.html

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2017, 06:38AM »

Meanwhile, the "Leader of the Free World" continues to hand Drumpf his ass with spot on trolling.........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-trolls-trump-apos-corrected-054549826.html

Excellent
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2017, 07:01AM »

As much as I'm disappointed that Trump pulled out of this deal, There may be some validity to the argument that States, Counties, and Cities going behind the president's back to the UN may be illegal.  If they merely decided to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to levels agreed upon in the agreement on their own that would be within their rights.  Banding together and submitting an agreement to the UN does border on illegality.  I very much dislike our newly elected President and his policies. His disregard for the environment, and the poor to line the pockets of corporations and shareholders is appalling to me.  As much as I dislike the president I do recognize that he was elected and we have to defer to his authority to do the job as outlined in the constitution.  State, County, and City governments are well within their right to set levels for pollution and emissions within their jurisdictions, but negotiating with foreign governments (ie; The UN) is beyond the limits of State's Rights.  As someone who disagrees with the President's policies I believe the best way for us as citizens to show our disagreement is coming up in the midterm elections.  We should put our efforts into electing Congressmen and Senators who agree with us, and who will stand up to Trump until we can vote him out of office as well. If you can believe the polls the majority of voters (including me) agree that we are having an effect on climate change world wide.  Let's now put party loyalty and party politics aside and vote to elect representatives who truly agree with us.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2017, 08:00AM »

I'm with you Radar. I am eagerly awaiting midterms. Texas' own excuse for a senator Ted Cruz is experiencing very low approval ratings and is very vulnerable to being unseated. Him and John Cornyn need to go.

If the 'pubs lose the majority, then Trump can be hamstrung enough to limit the negative impact he is having on the country. That is my hope.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2017, 08:31AM »

As much as I'm disappointed that Trump pulled out of this deal ...

Reply moved to MetaForal Matters (which may best be moved to the main Chit-Chat board, but I kinda doubt it--would be more appropriate in theory, but not likely in practice).

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: