Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080973 Posts in 71555 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MetaForal Matters  (Read 290 times)
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« on: Jun 03, 2017, 08:30AM »

... eh?

This topic is about meta-forum issues--navigating the forum, mainly the Practice Break/Chit-Chat section, and more specifically the Purely Politics board, as well as any controversial topic raised. It's about dealing with problem children and the nasty, pseudo-bellicose (i.e. all into it ... from a safe distance) schadenfreude, intellectual depravity, internal dishonesty and general self-serving intellectual depravity and ugliness that is so prevalent in the Interweb overall as well, the Dark Side of Human Nature that's been seeping out of the Interweb and into Real Life (RL) far more than in the recent past--apparently since The Beast is now being so well fed online--threatening to roll back decades, maybe centuries of civil social development. That also includes other topics of Interweb fora psychology and behavior and such, of course.

Here's the kernel ...

From US states and cities thumbing their collective noses at Trump:

As much as I'm disappointed that Trump pulled out of this deal, There may be some validity to the argument that States, Counties, and Cities going behind the president's back to the UN may be illegal.  If they merely decided to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to levels agreed upon in the agreement on their own that would be within their rights.  Banding together and submitting an agreement to the UN does border on illegality.  I very much dislike our newly elected President and his policies. His disregard for the environment, and the poor to line the pockets of corporations and shareholders is appalling to me.  As much as I dislike the president I do recognize that he was elected and we have to defer to his authority to do the job as outlined in the constitution.  State, County, and City governments are well within their right to set levels for pollution and emissions within their jurisdictions, but negotiating with foreign governments (ie; The UN) is beyond the limits of State's Rights.  As someone who disagrees with the President's policies I believe the best way for us as citizens to show our disagreement is coming up in the midterm elections.  We should put our efforts into electing Congressmen and Senators who agree with us, and who will stand up to Trump until we can vote him out of office as well. If you can believe the polls the majority of voters (including me) agree that we are having an effect on climate change world wide.  Let's now put party loyalty and party politics aside and vote to elect representatives who truly agree with us.

That's far too much honesty and integrity for some in here to actually see. I'm afraid you've made your post invisible to your target audience, based upon the well established pattern.

--

How can minimal standards of honesty and integrity be policed in online forums though? Serious question. Lies about other members/participants are easy, relatively speaking, but what about unclear or strategically concealed trolling, or just being fundamentally deceptive (self and other, because for the Alt-Right/Alternative Facts™ types the deception runs self first, then others/enemies, and "other" and "enemy" are functionally synonymous when you go that route--kinda has to be that way because anyone not playing the same game in the same way threatens the very strained and delicate sense of self-assurance and self-affirmation, and very few "others" are so successful with self-deception)?

We know pretty extreme levels of dishonesty and intellectual depravity have long been present here, mirroring the rise of the Alt-Right/Alternative Facts™ crowd in RL, to the extent that its direct impact and that of internal attempts at policing it unfortunately tend to establish the social climate (that's The Problem, which should be blindingly obvious but somehow doesn't seem to be)? How can that be equitably managed, or better, corrected?

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2017, 08:33AM »

Better watch what you ask for -- you may get it and not like it. ;-) ;-)

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2017, 09:47AM »

Better watch what you ask for -- you may get it and not like it. ;-) ;-)

I'll take my chances.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
Blackthorne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2017, 10:06AM »

Until we get both sides (I refer to this knowing that there are more than two sides, and from a perspective that lies on neither side, but also wishing more people acknowledged that fact) to agree that the other side isn't hellbent on the wanton destruction of the entire universe, I'm not so sure that any attempts to police any forum for political debate would be fruitful.

Getzen 3047AFR / Griego Deco 5M/Bach 4G Megatone / Protec IPAC
King 607F (silver) / Bach 6.5AL Megatone / Protec MAX
King Cleveland 606 / Besson 7C / King coffin case
Olds Super / Schilke 42B / SKB small tenor case
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2017, 10:56AM »

Until we get both sides (I refer to this knowing that there are more than two sides, and from a perspective that lies on neither side, but also wishing more people acknowledged that fact) to agree that the other side isn't hellbent on the wanton destruction of the entire universe, I'm not so sure that any attempts to police any forum for political debate would be fruitful.

Yeah. I can't help but think the two party system is a significant part of the toxically black and white, bi-polar mindset that's deeply infected society at large in the US, and when it takes hold in any group that's not pretty fringe, it seems like it just continues spreading. I'm beginning to think that even if a parliamentary system isn't as ideal on paper as our system (which is highly debatable, but even if ... ) the toxic nature of polarization makes it far superior. It's the challenge of creating organizational and governing systems that account adequately for human brain ownership. I suspect that's more of an enabling vector rather than The Problem though. One quick/easy test is whether the same nastiness permeates the Interweb, or if it tends to come from particular sources where societies are bipolar or monopolar, and isolationist or imperialist (the US and the Middle East).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: