Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086752 Posts in 71922 Topics- by 19223 Members - Latest Member: Adamgtrombonetrumpet87
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: British General Election  (Read 2885 times)
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Jun 13, 2017, 11:07AM »

Lay off "angry old white guys" Russ.

"Just the facts, Ma'am!"

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Jun 13, 2017, 12:06PM »

And don't call me "Ma'am".
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Jun 13, 2017, 01:07PM »

Shirley you jest Evil :-P

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Jun 13, 2017, 05:11PM »

The entire world is a vastly different place now than it was in the 60's.  There is no way to tell where the UK would be now had they never joined the EU.  Brexit is not going to play out very well.  I cannot imagine the EU making it easy for the UK - in fact, they can't make it easy as doing so would be like admitting that the EU is a bad idea.  It may not have been so bad for the UK if they still had the US as an ally to help ease the pain.  However, the US is no one's ally any longer.

There are growing numbers in EU countries other than the UK that think the EU is a bad idea. Plus, culturally there are big differences between EU countries and I do not think any of them want a United States of Europe, except maybe for Angela Merkel who wants Germany to rule the roost.

I think the strong relationship between the UK and the US will remain because it is not dependent on the President, especially not the present one. Same situation with Australia although I do think we will distance ourselves from his dopier ideas. Hopefully he won't last much longer anyway.

I do not think the UK is a vastly different place to the years of the 60's. If anything, the ideas of the 60's have been implemented. There were a few  problems along the way, like Thatcherism, and British manufacturing has been damaged by allowing other EU countries to move their goods in without too many border restrictions. However, it has not gone too far and the UK will soon resume its old drive without the rest of the EU to drag along. 

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: