Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080434 Posts in 71501 Topics- by 19054 Members - Latest Member: trombonejb
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Where within the 1st movement of The David would you use vibrato?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where within the 1st movement of The David would you use vibrato?  (Read 380 times)
Noahharry

View Profile
« on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:31PM »

I was wondering where within the 1st Movement of The David Concertino to use vibrato? Also what speed?  I was thinking a fast and not very wide vibrato on half notes or longer.  Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated !!  :)
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:55PM »

I think that's personal. You can use any vibrato that you think is nice for that music. The main thing is to listen a lot and then make up your mind about what vibrato/ no vibrato you like. Maybe try without and then add some vibrato here and there? Too much can be boring or monotone. Too little can be sterile. A little bit here and there can underline your musical expression. Its all about taste and personal expression. Style.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2017, 04:58AM »

Leif is right, it is a personal thing.
I try only to use vibrato in the rests. :D

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2017, 05:10AM »

This question reminds me of the Yacht question: If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

If you need to ask this question, don't use vibrato.  You will score a lot higher in the auditions with no vibrato than too much.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2017, 10:55AM »

I would say, on any longish note that you want, although preferably carefully selected ones that you think should be highlighted. Use vibrato as a way to color specific notes. Also, listen to great singers and the way they use vibrato (and non vibrato). They rarely use vibrato that stays the same speed and width throughout - it usually evolves through the note.

Maximilien Brisson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: