Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092468 Posts in 72278 Topics- by 19421 Members - Latest Member: Decifix
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceThe Business of Music(Moderator: BGuttman) A trip to Virtuosity Musical Instruments, Boston
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A trip to Virtuosity Musical Instruments, Boston  (Read 1071 times)
tbathras

View Profile
« on: Jun 10, 2017, 08:39PM »

I'd just like to give a shout out to the folks at Virtuosity.  I went there today to test out some Greg Black bass mouthpieces.  Everyone was so friendly; the atmosphere was great.  They pretty much had everything you'd need represented in the store.  More amazingly they had a handful of basses to try out.  What fun!  I played a B502I, I see why Jim likes it.  Not my cup of tea, but a great horn none the less. They also had one of those copies of a Thein F contra.  Yeah, that was a beast.

They also had several tenors - both small and large bore, but those were of little concern to me   :D

Anyway, if you're anywhere near Boston you should seriously stop in.

I didn't walk away empty handed - picked up a GB 1G .312/#2.  What a fantastic piece.

Oh, and their 'practice room' out back where you can test stuff out had great acoustics, just the right mix of reverb and dryness.

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2017, 09:52PM »

Good mouthpiece!!  :D

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Bach 50B2, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Bach 42BG, ditto
Conn 6H, Yamaha 48
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Molefsky

"Very old photo..."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2017, 10:58PM »

I was there just this Monday! Super friendly, owner included. Played tenors, basses, and the contra (just to do it). I believe they'll be carrying Shires stuff soon. They also said something about Schilkes with Greenhoe valves(?).

Molefsky
freelance trombonist
Full-time Environmental Engineering Consultant
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2017, 04:05AM »

Yep - he's going to have some Greenhoe basses in at some point (Greenhoe is owned by Schilke now).  He had good things to say about it.

renbaroque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2017, 04:51PM »

They had a killer player of a small bore trombone the other day when I visited. It was Olds Standard. Who knew? Would have picked it up if I played a small bore tenor at all. They were asking very little, too. Also, a crazy looking screw bell Abilene 6H with hand sanded bell. What a mess of a look, but it played pretty well too. And then, a closet queen vintage King 2B silver sonic. That one was a sight to behold!
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2017, 05:03PM »

I saw that 2B SS.  It was indeed gorgeous.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: