Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069494 Posts in 70967 Topics- by 18768 Members - Latest Member: smurfdad
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thyroid problem  (Read 436 times)
Roebird37

View Profile
« on: Jun 12, 2017, 02:59AM »

Does anyone here have experience of overactive thyroid, and being weak and breathless because of it?

All was going well for me since the start of the year, I was getting on well with my new-to-me Holton TR181, and had even decided around Easter time I was ready to arrange another lesson with Doug Elliott and really get stuck into improving my playing.

Then I became very unwell quite quickly, could hardly stand, weak as a kitten, pain all over, breathless, heart palpitations and hand tremors amongst other symptoms.  I couldn't play my trombone for 5 weeks.
I'm on medication now and things are easing off a bit, so I'm going to try and do a bit of practice later. 

I'm interested to know if anyone else has had this, and been treated with Carbimazole, do you get your breath back and if so how long will that take? 

I've got a concert booked in 3 weeks' time, and I don't know whether I will need to get a sub to cover for me.
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2017, 01:46PM »

Just cbz or have you beta blockers as well?

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:23AM »

Just cbz or have you beta blockers as well?

No beta blockers.

I'm pleased to report that the heart stuff has pretty much stopped in the last few days, and I am feeling a lot more like myself. I've been on the Carb for 3 weeks today, so I assume that's kicking in properly now.
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2017, 06:17AM »

Glad to hear it  Good! . Beta blockers help with the tremor, slow your heart rate and reduce the palpitations, but could make you breathless.

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2017, 06:08AM »

Thanks, it seems it was the thyroid causing the shortness of breath, as I had that quite badly before starting any medication.  I still feel I'm getting better every day, so I hope to be back at band next week.

The only problem now is the itchiness caused by the carbimazole, I'm scratching like a monkey at the moment, and that's not a good look for anyone.  :D
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2017, 06:17AM »

Antihistamines (eg cetirizine 10mg daily) should help with the itch. I'll sometimes use higher doses, and if all else fails, hydroxyzine - but that is generally too sedating for daytime use.

Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2017, 07:18AM »

I had a cat who developed an overactive thyroid when he was 12 years old.  After doing the medication for a while we had the radioactive iodine treatment which brought his levels to absolutely normal.

Do they do that for people?

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2017, 09:08AM »

I had a cat who developed an overactive thyroid when he was 12 years old.  After doing the medication for a while we had the radioactive iodine treatment which brought his levels to absolutely normal.

I recall they did that with George H.W. Bush and wife his Barbara who somehow both came down with "Graves Disease" nearly simultaneously.  Seems like the radiation is used mainly on the elderly and/or after others treatments fail.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2017, 04:59AM »

Radioiodine treatment is used in humans, yes

Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:02AM »

Yes, it seems that could be an option later on, depending on how things go.  It's possible it might just settle down again by itself in due course and the pills can be stopped.  This is what I'm hoping for, as the idea of radioactive iodine gives me the heebiejeebies.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:04AM »

Antihistamines (eg cetirizine 10mg daily) should help with the itch. I'll sometimes use higher doses, and if all else fails, hydroxyzine - but that is generally too sedating for daytime use.

Thanks, I'll go and get some this afternoon, it's not too bad during the day but evenings and bedtime it's absolutely maddening!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: