Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069494 Posts in 70967 Topics- by 18768 Members - Latest Member: smurfdad
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceMusical Miscellany(Moderators: JP, BGuttman) Puccini, Tosca - circles over notes
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Puccini, Tosca - circles over notes  (Read 317 times)
MoominDave

View Profile
« on: Jun 16, 2017, 11:50PM »

A friend just posted to Facebook the following images of a trombone part from Puccini's Tosca, asking what the circles over/under the notes mean:

My best guess is that it's similar to when English composers write (unnecessarily and not always well-informedly) "(pedal)" over a note - something of a request about tone quality. But I really don't know.

Anyone run across the answer to this one? I have played Tosca before, but if I found out the answer then, it hasn't stuck in my head...

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2017, 03:36AM »

I believe those notes are supposed to be "bell tones" because if I remember correctly they sound a little like church bells.  Maybe that's what the circles are?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:16AM »

On a natural horn, it means play it open (i.e. Not stopped). I can't see the relevance for a trombone.

If the previous notes were con sord, take the mute out. If they weren't, play the note without putting your hand in the bell.

I note the version on ismlp doesn't have these markings  Don't know

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2017, 01:08PM »

I posted the pic to the Facebook Bass Trombone group. Perhaps someone will recognize it, although Bruce's answer sounds plausible.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:34AM »

Many answers suggested on the Facebook Bass Trombone group but none terribly satisfying.

The most likely seems to be that it is an orchestrator's mistaken notion for indicating a pedal tone, as if the written pitch was not enough?

In the full score these circles appear nowhere but in the trombone I,II,II parts and there are several low Fs that do not have the circles.

They also do not appear at all for the pedal Bbs and low Fs in the Bass Trombone part.

In line with Bruce's "bell" theory, there are church bells in the score playing Bb and F at these sections.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Alex

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2017, 03:47PM »

Open plunger mute ?

Sorry, I'll get my coat....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: