Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080960 Posts in 71554 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tom Crown or Wick Straight Mute?  (Read 1665 times)
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2017, 12:58AM »

It's just that some pieces specifically request the wick straight fiber cone mute so there must be a big enough difference.

In more than 40 years of professional playing I have never seen a brand of mute specified on a part.... I must lead a sheltered life.
I have Wick, Wallace, JoRal, Crown metal and Wallace, Gane, Enkermann fiber. All have their place... best if a whole section use the same type of mute.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07:18AM »

Sorry, I wasn't talking about section parts. These are in specific concertos. Takemitsu requests a specific mute in his concertos, Sandstrom requests a specific one in Don Quixote, Lindberg requests a specific one in at least one of his transcriptions, and Berio requests a specific brand for the Sequenza. I think Xenakis also requests a specific mute too. These all name actual brands.

It doesn't really matter. I just wanted to know what was up between the normal metal mutes and the cone shaped straight mute.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2017, 05:15AM »

Sorry, I wasn't talking about section parts. These are in specific concertos. Takemitsu requests a specific mute in his concertos, Sandstrom requests a specific one in Don Quixote, Lindberg requests a specific one in at least one of his transcriptions, and Berio requests a specific brand for the Sequenza. I think Xenakis also requests a specific mute too. These all name actual brands.

It doesn't really matter. I just wanted to know what was up between the normal metal mutes and the cone shaped straight mute.

I dont think Berio requests a specific brand.... the sequenza describes the mute required very carefully as well as how to use it. No brand name though.... not sure about the other ones you listed but I would be surprised if any actually specified a brand name.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2017, 05:51AM »

In more than 40 years of professional playing I have never seen a brand of mute specified on a part.... I must lead a sheltered life.
I have Wick, Wallace, JoRal, Crown metal and Wallace, Gane, Enkermann fiber. All have their place... best if a whole section use the same type of mute.

Chris Stearn
In Big Band scores I've seen requests for Harmon mutes to be used, but I think that is just that Harmon is synonymous with the Wow Wow style mute.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2017, 12:46PM »

I had a conductor once specify using Denis Wick mutes to the trombone section.......I think he was just trying to get down with the kids......
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2017, 01:34AM »

I have never seen a brand of mute specified on a part

Chris Stearn

I've seen a big band chart that specifies "Ray Robinson mute."

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Rockymountaintrombone

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2017, 08:26PM »

The Tomasi - "To be or not to be" specifies Robinson mutes too. I think that at one time, that brand name was associated with Cup Mutes, the same way that Harmon (a brand name) is associated with wa-wa mutes. Robinson cup mutes are still highly sought after, even though the company has been out of business for years.

The only other times I've seen a brand name specified for a mute, it's been a situation where an inexperienced composer/arranger asked for a mute that he/she had heard somewhere, and didn't realize that they were specifying a brand rather than a type of mute.

Jim Scott
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 20, 2017, 06:39AM »

Coulda sworn the Berio specifically called for a wick metal mute.

The other one I remember was a "gaine mute" in another concerto. That might just be a type.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: