Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083568 Posts in 71818 Topics- by 19123 Members - Latest Member: AU Tico
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Holton small shank m'pce marked "30"-Anybody familiar with it?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holton small shank m'pce marked "30"-Anybody familiar with it?  (Read 332 times)
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 07, 2017, 11:35AM »

Does anyone here know anything about an old Holton small shank tbn. m'pce marked "30?" Made in Elkhorn is all I know. And also that it plays beautifully on my .485 Shires horn. Quite deep V cup...deeper than my Bach Clarke S, which is the biggest small shank m'pce I own. Wide open backbore...also bigger than my Clarke L. Rim size somewhere around a a 12, but rounder. Very comfortable. You'd think it would be a big-feeling m'pce except for the rim, but it isn't. It's got a  great, lyrical balance, especially in the upper registers.

Just curious...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2017, 04:44PM »

SHAZAAM!! They will be available in a Wessex small bore horn by Christmas! ha hah hah hahahahaha
growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2017, 05:30PM »

Does anyone here know anything about an old Holton small shank tbn. m'pce marked "30?" Made in Elkhorn is all I know. And also that it plays beautifully on my .485 Shires horn. Quite deep V cup...deeper than my Bach Clarke S, which is the biggest small shank m'pce I own. Wide open backbore...also bigger than my Clarke L. Rim size somewhere around a a 12, but rounder. Very comfortable. You'd think it would be a big-feeling m'pce except for the rim, but it isn't. It's got a  great, lyrical balance, especially in the upper registers.

Just curious...

S.

If I didn't know better, it sounds like a pretty fair description of one of my King 28s (not the "Equa-Tru," which I'd like to try).  My favourite 28 sounds like this, the other is "tighter" (and, I suspect, newer).  The rim is a biggish 12-size, and it's about as deep as an Elliott ST E cup, but probably not quite as open a backbore as you describe.  I don't use it much now, because I just feel more comfortable and have better flexibility with a 6 3/4 size (LT99) rim, but it turned me on to deeper and more tapered cups than the "usual" C-type.

Not helpful, I know ...

If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2017, 06:15AM »

SHAZAAM!! They will be available in a Wessex small bore horn by Christmas! ha hah hah hahahahaha
IF YOU'RE LUCKY !!!  HA HA HA HA !!!

Holton TR-100 / Bach 6-1/2A
Wessex Trombone Consultant
www.chiphoehler.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: