Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072617 Posts in 71134 Topics- by 18853 Members - Latest Member: UtahTrombone
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformancePerformance(Moderator: BGuttman) Is it me? Awkward Band Situation
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it me? Awkward Band Situation  (Read 1770 times)
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:22AM »

LOL. See? "Cruise ships and the military". Is that really all there is to look forward to? That's really sad. No offense to either of those, I'm not saying those options are sad, I'm saying it's sad that there aren't more options.

I have auditioned for and been rejected by just about every cruise line out there. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's worth going through that again.

MyBad. I didn't know that you've been turned down by cruise ship gigs. I wouldn't have suggested it if I had known. I was just going with your touring experience since a lot of people would rather stay home more, and tour less.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:53AM »

MyBad. I didn't know that you've been turned down by cruise ship gigs. I wouldn't have suggested it if I had known. I was just going with your touring experience since a lot of people would rather stay home more, and tour less.

Understood, I wasn't trying to be insulting. In an earlier comment I said the first thing people will usually suggest is cruise ships and the military, and you went and proved my point. Sorry, I just thought that was funny, that's all, I didn't mean to put you down or anything.

I understand and apologize for coming across poorly here. You could not have known that I had been turned down by cruise ships and I didn't expect you to know that and I didn't think my answer implied any expectation. From my perspective while writing I thought I was just stating the fact and also stating why I haven't yet tried again. I could have been kinder by saying thank you for the advice or adding other words that would have come across more gently. Not sure what else to do other than apologize. In the future I will try to be more considerate when responding. 

"Passion is born from earnestness.
Miracles have value precisely because you cause them."
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:47AM »

Megan - I don't know you personally, so I am in no position to give career advice, but it seems like you are in a good place to make a lot of contacts in the music industry and find places to play. BAC seems like a well-respected instrument maker and retailer in that area. I think if you stick around there a while, you will have the opportunity to meet a lot of folks in the KC area who can point you towards some good gigs. Lots of people do a non-music job all day and gig at night. At least your day job is in the music business and you get to rub shoulders with musicians all day long. You might consider starting a brass quintet or brass band or something along those lines and looking for gigs on your own. A city the size of KC should have plenty of opportunities to play somewhere. Plus they have good barbecue.
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 15, 2017, 12:13PM »

From 1989 - 2011 I played in 3 piece horn sections with World Beat Bands, reggae, Blues . Funk and 16 years with a Classic R&B/Classic Rock Band (Excellent band).
I found that there were no charts and /or bad charts when I joined. Job security - I wrote for all of these bands. Most Non-Horn playing Rock/R&B players have no idea what to do with us.
But... They want that sound in the Band. Good for us that we are wanted. So make the best of it. When I started writing for the Bands, I had a little more control and say in the way things were put together. Instead of just adding another sax solo, I would write a "Chicago inspired" Horn section soli. This made us really stand out from other bands that had more pedestrian horn parts.
Have some fun with it, take some chances, try some different voicings. Do the other players double at all?
In the R&B Band , all 3 of us doubled on Flute, so I could write either unison or 3 part harmony flute parts, My sax player double Flugel-horn.
It was a great experience

RETIRED
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: