Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080934 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningBeginners and Returning Trombonists(Moderator: bhcordova) 1st thing to do when getting a brand new trombone?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1st thing to do when getting a brand new trombone?  (Read 1286 times)
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Aug 20, 2017, 12:33AM »

1st thing I do I'd pay for it Evil

Yes!

A new instrument is easy. Wipe the inside of the outer slide and the outside of the inner slide. Pour/pump water through. Lube and play.

If an OLD instrument?

The first thing I do when I get a new instrument is to pour/pump water through the slide and wipe the inner slide. I put some lube on and play. I just check the instrument BEFORE cleaning. The second thing I do is clean the instrument and test again to see what that did. Next is take out any major dents in the tuning slide. Test again. Take out any other dents that are deep. Test again. Then do the same with the bell. This way after doing this on about 30 used instruments I have learned a lot about what cleaning does to an instrument and what to expect from dents in different places.

What I've learned:
1. Dirt makes the instrument play bad, especially dirt in the leadpipe.
2. Small dents do not affect playing.
3  A major dent (0,5 cm) at the wrong place can change ONE or several notes so they play stuffy and false. After such a dent is removed the instrument can play much better.
4. A bell that has lost it's symmetry can play differently. When the symmetry is restored the instrument plays better.

It sort of confirme what others have told me.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: