Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073266 Posts in 71199 Topics- by 18863 Members - Latest Member: bonethug9000
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) DANGER?? Mouthpieces contain dangerous amounts of LEAD?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DANGER?? Mouthpieces contain dangerous amounts of LEAD?  (Read 2095 times)
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:30PM »

I wondered if she found the lead in the lead pipe that the mouthpiece fits in inside the mouthpiece receiver Yeah, RIGHT.

(It is a wonderful language we English invented but I am surprised you Americans haven't managed to improve it yet :D)

Cheers

Stewbones

We've improved it a lot. It's "aluminum", not "aluminium"; it's a flashlight, not a "torch" (a torch is what 18th century mobs carry in movies); and it's pronounced "zee", not "zed". That way, when you sing the ABC song, it rhymes.

Brass repair, modifications, custom parts and instruments

http://brassmedic.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:39PM »

So, what alloy is Monette using that doesn't have any lead in it? Are they alloying the materials themselves?

I would like to see if anyone has information regarding the mobility of the lead in brass, seeing as they use it for a lot of things people touch, like doorknobs, shell casings, brass knuckles, etc.

There are many brass alloys and most of them do not contain lead.  342 alloy is commonly used in applications where machining is done since the lead acts as a lubricant of sorts.

Most doorknobs, lighting fixtures, etc. are molded and can use an alloy without any lead.

This table lists a number of common brass alloys:

https://www.thebalance.com/composition-of-common-brass-alloys-2340109

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:10AM »

So, what alloy is Monette using that doesn't have any lead in it? Are they alloying the materials themselves?

I would like to see if anyone has information regarding the mobility of the lead in brass, seeing as they use it for a lot of things people touch, like doorknobs, shell casings, brass knuckles, etc.
Silicon is often used to reduce lead for a machining agent.  The alloy can be called silicon brass or silicon bronze depending on composition.  They still usually contain some lead, but at about 1/100 to 1/10 that of regular leaded brass.

It's very difficult to keep all lead out of brass as most copper has some lead content as well as other metals.

A good alloy is C65500 which is specified to have a maximum lead content of .05%.  It is considered "lead-free".  One issue with this alloy and other brasses/bronzes with silicon added is there are very few re-cycling companies that will accept the scrap.  This inhibits their use somewhat.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2017, 01:02PM »

I'd be curious to know why silicon brass is less recyclable than more conventional brasses.  Wouldn't the silicon form a slag when melted that will be easy to skim off?

Bruce Guttman
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2017, 02:20PM »

If anyone is truly worried about lead mouthpieces just move a chair over and you can convert your existing lead mouthpiece to a 2nd chair mouthpiece. A 3rd chair mouthpiece if you feel  like it, but that's getting pretty close to a bass mouthpiece. Those are a bit fishy.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
Bruce the budgie

"A burp is not a grace note."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2017, 03:17PM »

I'd be curious to know why silicon brass is less recyclable than more conventional brasses.  Wouldn't the silicon form a slag when melted that will be easy to skim off?

Recyclers of copper alloys do seem to frown on silicon contamination. It forms a solid solution in copper alloys; googling tells me that lead forms nodules at grain boundaries, not being very soluble in copper. There may be methods of selectively oxidizing elements such as silicon, analogous to the Bessemer process in steel production, but it may be tricky to get rid of those last few fractions in a way that makes economical sense.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2017, 08:30PM »

We used to reclaim copper by dissolving it in an ammoniated solution and plating it out.  The silicon won't dissolve and is disposed pretty easily.  Zinc won't co-plate with copper easily so it can easily be separated as well.

Bruce Guttman
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2017, 09:03PM »

I'd be curious to know why silicon brass is less recyclable than more conventional brasses.
It's probably not Bruce, and I'll gladly allow your greater experience to prevail here.  However, the scuttle butt is that the recycling mavens are just not set up for it, and are resisting the added cost to move forward.  From what I have read, it's the metal companies that are trying to get the recyclers to make the move forward.

Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 15, 2017, 02:01AM »

We've improved it a lot. It's "aluminum", not "aluminium"; it's a flashlight, not a "torch" (a torch is what 18th century mobs carry in movies); and it's pronounced "zee", not "zed". That way, when you sing the ABC song, it rhymes.

Thanks Brad, all I need to do now is find out what you Americans mean by "improving". Confused Evil Perhaps if I watch you new leader I will soon find out :/

Cheers

Stewbones

PS Just checked your website-love your work.

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
Roscotrombone

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2017, 05:24AM »

Stewbones....do you think that when a person from across the pond visits here and sees a fish and chip shop then they think it's fish and crisps??

Totally off topic but couldn't resist!

Ross

Trombones are for life,not just for Christmas
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:51AM »

Stewbones....do you think that when a person from across the pond visits here and sees a fish and chip shop then they think it's fish and crisps??

Totally off topic but couldn't resist!

Ross

Trying to imagine an American's reaction to fish and chips! Confused

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:59AM »

Lots of places in NA specialize in fish and chips.  They don't call it fish and fries, so in that context at least they are okay with chips meaning fries.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:01AM »

Trying to imagine an American's reaction to fish and chips! Confused

Cheers

Stewbones

I went in figuring it's the British equivalent to our Burger and Fries shops.  Plus, I had been warned.  Biscuits come in tins and are not a soft roll.  Chips are slices of potato deep fried but stil soft.  A pickle is sold by the foot (Metrecation had just occurred and people still used English units; also pounds/shillings/pence).  And they use a concoction called Vegemite.

Bruce Guttman
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:14AM »

Btw, "Aluminum" is the original. We're the ones who changed it...

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:05AM »

I think the reason is since most other elements end in -ium the small change of adding an I was adopted by British chemists for aluminum (aluminium).

Now that becomes a little more difficult with Arsenic, Oxygen, Sulfur, Carbon, Hydrogen, Phosphorus, mercury, and a few otehr names.  Halogens all end in -ine

Bruce Guttman
Bruce the budgie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:14AM »

My guess is that the recyclers would need some heavy capital investment to go from furnaces to aqueous electrolysis, with its particular waste management requirements. (Are they already doing that, and at what scale?)

For some frivolous reason, this reminded me of a movie from the late eighties, The Navigator. A small group of medieval Cumbrian copper miners fearing the plague, prompted by a boy's vision, intend to bring an offering of copper to make a spire for "the greatest church in Christendom." Their tunneling brings them to a modern city looking a lot like Auckland, where they are baffled by the hustling traffic, and nearly bump into a surfacing submarine as they ferry themselves across the harbour.

The relevant bit is where Our Young Hero wrinkles his nose, points upwind, and announces, "foundry!" It seems some things may have stayed constant, or nearly so, over the centuries.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:34AM »

The war for independence started in Boston over who had better Fish and Chips and also who made better trombones.. We know how it turned out.

A Bostonite will get irate if you suggest they don't know what fish and chips is.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Bruce the budgie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:38AM »

A Bostonite will get irate if you suggest they don't know what fish and chips is.

Some say that if you ask a Boston cab driver where might be a good place to get scrod, he will reply, "Many's the time I've been asked that question, but never before in the pluperfect subjunctive!"
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:47AM »

Some say that if you ask a Boston cab driver where might be a good place to get scrod, he will reply, "Many's the time I've been asked that question, but never before in the pluperfect subjunctive!"
You mean he never heard:

Sugiero que tengamos algo de scrod, señor.

Bruce the budgie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 15, 2017, 11:35AM »

You mean he never heard:

Sugiero que tengamos algo de scrod, señor.

Must admit, there is a higher likelihood of that than

Veuillez amène-moi à un bistrot avec scrod, monsieur
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: