Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080586 Posts in 71522 Topics- by 19056 Members - Latest Member: Coleman25
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) DANGER?? Mouthpieces contain dangerous amounts of LEAD?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DANGER?? Mouthpieces contain dangerous amounts of LEAD?  (Read 2727 times)
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2017, 01:27PM »

Veuillez amène-moi à un bistrot avec scrod, monsieur
Vous voulez aller à un bistrot avec un poisson?  Monsieur?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 15, 2017, 01:33PM »

I think the reason is since most other elements end in -ium the small change of adding an I was adopted by British chemists for aluminum (aluminium).

So do British chemists also say "Platinium," "Molybdenium," and "Tantalium?"  
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: Jul 15, 2017, 03:47PM »

Thanks Brad, all I need to do now is find out what you Americans mean by "improving". Confused Evil Perhaps if I watch you new leader I will soon find out :/

Cheers

Stewbones

PS Just checked your website-love your work.
That's not Americans, that's the 'Muricans (yee haw!). Totally different. We're doing an odd/even thing with the presidents right now. It's alternating "not so bad" with "might be time to move to another country".

Brass repair, modifications, custom parts and instruments

http://brassmedic.com
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07:46AM »

That's not Americans, that's the 'Muricans (yee haw!). Totally different. We're doing an odd/even thing with the presidents right now. It's alternating "not so bad" with "might be time to move to another country".

You would be welcome over here but it might not be such a good move at present. We have a government trying to extricate us from an agreement with lots of other countries, half of which have populations who want to come and live in our country, working for peanuts doing the jobs that our natives don't want to do. It is called a mess! :(

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07:51AM »

You would be welcome over here but it might not be such a good move at present. We have a government trying to extricate us from an agreement with lots of other countries, half of which have populations who want to come and live in our country, working for peanuts doing the jobs that our natives don't want to do. It is called a mess! :(

Cheers

Stewbones

Gee.  You have Romanians, we have Mexicans.  Same deal.  I'm sure if the English bosses were required to pay the same wages to the Romanians and Poles that they do to native English, they wouldn't be so quick to hire them.  Except maybe for the back-breaking labo(u)r that natives aren't interested in.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08:27AM »

Cheers

Stewbones
Not too sure they all want to go to the UK.  Some tiny few might like to go to Germany or France or Sweden or Denmark, or, heck, even Ireland.

To be Quite honest, I'm an EU citizen and probably the last place in the EU I'd like to go is the UK.  The UK seems like -- boiled meat and barley water -- okay, but just a little bland.  No offense intended, just the way I feel.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Bruce the budgie

"A burp is not a grace note."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08:34AM »

In the early eighties, just before the Reagan years, English engineers came to the US on H-1B visas to work for defense contractors such as Raytheon and GTE. Experienced home-grown talent was scarce and expensive at that time. UK subjects were preferred because they could get security clearances.

In other news, I am an idiot. Large-scale electro-refining of copper is a thing, and has been for quite a while. Should have known better, having handled chunks of the stuff, looking like chopped-up pieces of wire as thick as my thumb, while temping in the labs of a photo-resist manufacturer. That's where I learned that putting one foot up on a low rail could relieve sciatic nerve issues, while spending hours standing around a process tank.

:/
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: Jul 16, 2017, 01:06PM »

Cheers

Stewbones

That would be nice, but then I'd have to learn a new language ;-)

Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jul 16, 2017, 01:50PM »

That would be nice, but then I'd have to learn a new language ;-)

It's not a NEW language, it's the original OLD one. We made it from bits of Latin, French, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Jewish and anyone else who would talk to us. :/

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:01PM »

I seem to recall some linguists stating that the "English" in parts of New England had changed less over time than the English in the UK. It is a fun thing to talk about, at times.

Anyway, to get BACK ON TOPIC, does anyone have any information on motility of the lead component of brass alloys? Just because there is something toxic in something doesn't mean it is actually able to be absorbed through the skin.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:09PM »

It's not a NEW language, it's the original OLD one
Cheers

Stewbones

Um, I know the winking smily wasn't around in medieval England, but surely you know what it means.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:48PM »

In other news, I am an idiot. Large-scale electro-refining of copper is a thing, and has been for quite a while. Should have known better, having handled chunks of the stuff, looking like chopped-up pieces of wire as thick as my thumb, while temping in the labs of a photo-resist manufacturer. That's where I learned that putting one foot up on a low rail could relieve sciatic nerve issues, while spending hours standing around a process tank.

:/

And I probably used your photoresist when I worked in a Printed Circuit shop. :)

Those chunks were copper for anodes in a plating tank.  Easy to use copper with any insoluble contaminant for that process.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: