Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072972 Posts in 71168 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: Lorenz H
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: E tuning slide for Rath R9D?  (Read 401 times)
doublepedalBb442

View Profile
« on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:08AM »

Is it possible and a regularly done thing for people to get an E tuning slide in place of the second trigger Gb tuning slide on dependent bass trombones, so that when both triggers are engaged one could play a C1 in first?
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:11AM »

I'm sure some people have done it, though I don't hear about it very often. You also lose some of the nice positions a Gb valve gives.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Catastrophone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:16AM »

I'm sure Mick can make you a tuning slide any length you want. Whether it's of benefit on a dependent horn (you'll still be blowing through both valves) is a different matter. You might also not like the extra weight.
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:21AM »

Is it possible and a regularly done thing for people to get an E tuning slide in place of the second trigger Gb tuning slide on dependent bass trombones, so that when both triggers are engaged one could play a C1 in first?

I have extra tube on my indi that puts the second valve into D by itself.... a really free blow plus Bb,A and Ab as second harmonics.... useful at times.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:27AM »

I met a guy who had a Bach 50B2 like what you are asking.  Very strong player.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:15PM »

I think the TO said "dependent" in error, when they meant "independent". Otherwise replacing a Gb valve with an E valve to give C1 makes no sense.

David Sullivan
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
doublepedalBb442

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:19AM »

How does it not make sense? I in fact did mean dependent. Thumb trigger F slide + E second trigger slide should sound C when engaged together in first position.
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2017, 07:10AM »

I think just because being dependent it is tuned to what it is. First is F and second would be C. It couldn't be E on its own because the first valve has to be engaged.

I had thought about doing this also ( I was going to experiment with some tuning to see if I even liked the compromise ), but I never got around to it. However it should be easy to make and useful if you want to use it.

I also had a Holton TR181 and could pull the second slide out to E. But I didn't even use the second trigger enough back then to care what it was tuned to. Now with more technical playing in the bands I'm in I still think and independent G att would be much more useful

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
doublepedalBb442

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2017, 08:04AM »

I see what you mean now, I was merely referring to "E" to refer to the length of the slide even though it would be unusable. Also, Doug Yeo makes a reference on his website to possibly the 50B2 player mentioned above. https://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/valves.html
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2017, 01:56PM »

How does it not make sense? I in fact did mean dependent. Thumb trigger F slide + E second trigger slide should sound C when engaged together in first position.
  Ahh, now I understand. I mean, it is interesting, and if that tuning worked for you, go for it.

I've always felt that having the second valve go to Db may make "more sense" in that it moves in the B natural a bit, and is more balanced, the first valve changing the key down a fourth, and the second valve moving it down a major third, instead of a minor third.

David Sullivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: