Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092910 Posts in 72340 Topics- by 19432 Members - Latest Member: joshealejo
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Maybe dumb car repair idea  (Read 2273 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2017, 02:12PM »

Hooray for successfully-connected wires.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2017, 07:11PM »

Yay Tim!

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:28AM »

This may finally be the end of my bringing my Volvo woes to this forum.

It's started overheating, shortly after doing enough repairs to pass inspection.  That would have cost more but I repaired the window switch and the bad connections on front turn signal and back brake light myself. 

The shop diagnosed a bad water pump and replaced it.  That made no difference.  It overheats and the heater blows cold air, then it seems to fix itself and the temp gauge comes back down and the heater works, then everything repeats, all within a couple of miles.  Clearly there's a coolant blockage that comes and goes. 

This morning I squeezed the radiator hose and it was pressurized rock hard.  Seems to be exhaust gas getting into the coolant.

That means a blown head gasket, I guess, and that's not economically repairable on a 1991 high mileage car.  The mechanic we use agrees with me.  He did say I might get some local travel running it without a thermostat and maybe trying one of those stop leak products.  The gasket itself is only about $60 but there's apparently a lot of labor involved in changing it. 

Tim Richardson
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:00AM »

Replacing the head gasket on and overhead cam engine is a big job.

I remember doing the job on my old 1965 Valiant with a 225ci slant 6.  Drain the coolant, remove the hose, remove the plug wires, remove the head cover, unbolt the head, clean off the old gasket, put on the new gasket then follow the above steps in reverse.  Took about an hour.  Nothing like an old push-rod engine for simple maintenance.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:09AM »

Sounds like what happened to my 1991 740.  It was death by 1000 papercuts.  All kinds of little things hit.

The head gasket is a simple thing but you almost have to remove the engine from the gasket to install.  I think $1000 is not unheard of in some dealer shops.  It's a 2 weekend project if you try it yourself.  And that's on a simple 1991 engine rather than something more modern.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:28AM »

Based on the mechanic at the shop and some internet advice, I thought it was worth seeing if it would overheat less if I took the thermostat out.

It's easy on a Volvo, the upper hose is right there with nothing in the way.

Yeah, not.

Two nuts hold it on.  One came off easily, the other defied my efforts for most of the day, but finally came off, a bit mangled but intact.

Of course the thermostat has to go back in sans guts, the gasket is too small to seal alone.  So I removed the thermostat center.

But then.  All the time I was working on the difficult nut, I was sweating over rounding it completely or snapping the bolt shaft.  (yeah of course I bought a new nut before reinstalling.) 

So of course when I put it back together, the other bolt snapped off.  Not sure why, I was using my short 3/8 inch ratchet, not the 1/2 breaker bar that worked on the other one. 

Sigh. 

Tim Richardson
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:00AM »

My friend's dad used to say, "There will be cars in Hell."

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: