Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073178 Posts in 71190 Topics- by 18862 Members - Latest Member: Gendreauj
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) How do you increase high range consistency?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you increase high range consistency?  (Read 231 times)
trb420

View Profile
« on: Jul 14, 2017, 04:30PM »

Some days I can play up to high F with little difficulty, but other days I struggle to play an Bb without a ton of effort. I dont think it's an issue of endurance (on a day when my range isnt happening, resting won't make it any better). Can anyone recommend anything for range consistency?
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2017, 05:26PM »

Make a conscious effort to form your embouchure the same way every time your lips touch your mouthpiece. Also that it is the correct embouchure. I don't know if you have an instructor.

Aside from that play all the way up and all the way down every time you practice. Scales, arpeggios... when I was trying to expand my range I just tried to see how high and low I could play each day and it increased eventually.

And also it is very important to not overdo it. Don't hurt yourself. Rest and stretch and hydrate.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2017, 05:37PM »

Really, practice is the only thing. There is no hack. Do intervals, scales, melodies in progressively higher keys. Get a hymnal and read a hymn. Now memorize it. Next try to play it in a key a step higher. Practice articulating and slurring. The big thing is hearing the note before you try to play it, so singing or humming the melody or interval before you play it is important.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:02PM »

The way to do it is to perfect your low trigger and also your mid range to be extremely consistent and resonant. Then play the upper register with the same embouchure (no shifts or pinching). Play the upper register like it's middle F.

That's how you do it, literally, but how you get there is probably through 10,000 hours of practice...

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: