Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092751 Posts in 72323 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AR Resonance Mouthpieces  (Read 9716 times)
AR Resonance

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2017, 10:56PM »

I live in switzerland and am interested in trying out your symphonic and bass trombone mouthpieces. How can i go about trying them out?

I am curious to try them in high level english style brass bands where volume and articulation demands are particular.

Hello!
If you live where the Matterhorn is you are pretty close to Torino, in Italy, where I live.
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:40AM »

Not many bass trombone pieces yet in the US. Iíll have more of the pieces in about a week for a few interested guys to check out and hopefully they can post impressions and review on here about them. Stay tuned.

I would be interested in the smallest rim size(27.6) piece.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
AR Resonance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2017, 09:06AM »

Here's a comparison chart for small shank mouthpieces:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a6c7cc_15ac1463a0fe4d2a81950b04217d0faf.pdf

And here a list of sizes for the large shank ones, still working on a comparison chart:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a6c7cc_6db8cde8e4374896be4f1083616f0af3.pdf

Also, here are some photos of mixed pieces, trumpet, trombone, tuba...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/arresonancesrl/photos/?tab=album&album_id=403105750105041

Please let me know if I'm pushing it too much, I don't want to make this a sales pitch post.
JMartin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:12PM »

Hello all-

I recently got an AR Resonance mouthpiece from Luke (who has been great to deal with) and would like to share my experience.  I got a 24.8 top with three shanks- a 40, 43, and a 46.  On my .508 horn, the 40 was a tad tight.  The 43 was very usable, but I ended up feeling the most comfortable on the 46, the most open of the 3.  After a 30 minute acclimation warm up, I felt completely comfortable on it.  It is simply the quickest responding mouthpiece Iíve ever played.  There is zero lapse between what you think and what comes out.  Upper register is much improved from what Iím used to.  Everything feels very stable, and it's extremely easy to go between registers.  The pitch is also very stable, no matter how much air you put through the horn, it locks in.  The sound is very clean, clear and pleasant.  As The Sheriff stated, this mouthpiece makes me play like a better version of me.  Wow- I kept saying that over and over again.  I wasnít even in the market for a new piece, but after 45 minutes, I couldnít go back to my regular mouthpiece!  These guys are really on to something, and I'm excited to see what they'll come up with.  Especially with the bronze, copper, stainless steel and titanium possibilities in the future. 

Airmen of Note, 2nd Trombone
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2017, 02:38PM »

Hello all-

I recently got an AR Resonance mouthpiece from Luke (who has been great to deal with) and would like to share my experience.  I got a 24.8 top with three shanks- a 40, 43, and a 46.  On my .508 horn, the 40 was a tad tight.  The 43 was very usable, but I ended up feeling the most comfortable on the 46, the most open of the 3.  After a 30 minute acclimation warm up, I felt completely comfortable on it.  It is simply the quickest responding mouthpiece Iíve ever played.  There is zero lapse between what you think and what comes out.  Upper register is much improved from what Iím used to.  Everything feels very stable, and it's extremely easy to go between registers.  The pitch is also very stable, no matter how much air you put through the horn, it locks in.  The sound is very clean, clear and pleasant.  As The Sheriff stated, this mouthpiece makes me play like a better version of me.  Wow- I kept saying that over and over again.  I wasnít even in the market for a new piece, but after 45 minutes, I couldnít go back to my regular mouthpiece!  These guys are really on to something, and I'm excited to see what they'll come up with.  Especially with the bronze, copper, stainless steel and titanium possibilities in the future. 

-----

Still diggin' it? I've had mine for a while now and it's my all time fave.

====

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
JMartin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2017, 04:06AM »

-----

Still diggin' it? I've had mine for a while now and it's my all time fave.

====

Hey Scott- 

Yes, I still love it.  This mouthpiece is magic.  It keeps getting better the more I play it.  There seems to be no limits on what it can do, other than my own weaknesses.  It makes me go for things I would normally shy away from, because I wasnít sure theyíd come out.   The equipment never gets in the way.  Iíve been telling everyone about these, because I think theyíre really onto something.  Iíd love to try the 25.1 at some point too, but Iím completely happy with the 24.8

The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2017, 06:20AM »

Hey Scott- 

Yes, I still love it.  This mouthpiece is magic.  It keeps getting better the more I play it.  There seems to be no limits on what it can do, other than my own weaknesses.  It makes me go for things I would normally shy away from, because I wasnít sure theyíd come out.   The equipment never gets in the way.  Iíve been telling everyone about these, because I think theyíre really onto something.  Iíd love to try the 25.1 at some point too, but Iím completely happy with the 24.8
----

I hear ya, brother! I had a chance to try Joel Adams' 25.1 top on my 43-10.5 shank and I'm gonna stick with the 24.8. If anything, I might pick up a 46-10.5 shank. I remember liking it when I was at Luke's place, but chose the 43-10.5 because it was "me" all the way. However, the 46-10.5 would be perfect for my church gigs. The first thing that popped into my mind when I tried it was.... "legit".

===

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
JMartin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2017, 09:24AM »

----

I hear ya, brother! I had a chance to try Joel Adams' 25.1 top on my 43-10.5 shank and I'm gonna stick with the 24.8. If anything, I might pick up a 46-10.5 shank. I remember liking it when I was at Luke's place, but chose the 43-10.5 because it was "me" all the way. However, the 46-10.5 would be perfect for my church gigs. The first thing that popped into my mind when I tried it was.... "legit".

===

Ah, Nice!  I have a buddy who is getting a 25.1 soon, so Iíll be able to check it out next week.  And I agree, for me, 46-10.5 made me a better ďmeĒ.  I canít wait to see what the other metal options play like.  These guys know what theyíre doing!

AR Resonance

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:02AM »

Thanks a LOT Jeff and Scott, these posts make me very happy!
Iíve finally had a couple of hours to record and edit a video with Luca Begonia, a wonderful musician from Italy who used to play with Clark Terry, and happens to be an AR Resonance Artist :)
Here a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/QstI_ITvVl4

I hope you like it!
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:34AM »

Iíve finally had a couple of hours to record and edit a video with Luca Begonia, a wonderful musician from Italy who used to play with Clark Terry, and happens to be an AR Resonance Artist :)

I hope you like it!
====

You're welcome. Nice video. Thanks.

------

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
JMartin

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2017, 02:50PM »

I hope you like it!
Thanks for the video, and the great mouthpieces! 

Barranco

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:43AM »

Hi everyone,

I couldn't agree more with Jeff Martin on this!  I received the AR Resonance mouthpiece from Luke and I'm blown away.  First off, Luke is amazing to deal with.  He is professional, responds very quickly and just a super nice guy.  I received the same mouthpiece as Jeff, the 24.8 top with three shanks- a 40, 43, and a 46.  I play on a .500 bore and at first the 40 felt just a little tight for me.   So I moved to the 43 and I felt like I was at home right away.  I'm not an equipment junkie at all......I've been playing the same horns and mouthpieces for a long time.  But for some reason, this mouthpiece is allowing me to play WAY more efficiently than ever before.  The 46 feels a little more open but I kept going back to the 43 as that felt more comfortable for me.  After a week or so of playing on the 43 shank, I moved back to the 40 and it doesn't feel as tight anymore.  The slots in the upper and lower register are amazing.  You can scream in the upper register or you can play soft and high without any "crispy critters" sneaking into your sound.  The pitch locks in, articulation sounds great and it's just EASY to play.

I went back to my regular mouthpiece and it's just not the same.  Everyone I've played for on this mouthpiece absolute loves it more than what I was playing before.  Plus, it looks pretty cool! As a non-gearhead, I HIGHLY recommend checking this company out.  They are on to something and I can't wait to see what else they come out with.
dembonesMA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2017, 07:22PM »

I've been waiting to jump in on this thread until I had extensive quality time on my AR Resonance mouthpiece.

I bought a 24.8 top a couple of months ago, to use with my Lawler .500 (fantastic, but that's another thread), and quickly settled on the 43 back bore. The first blow was an "ah-ha!" moment like other have described here - wow-this-is-amazing kind of reaction. Like earlier posts, the mouthpiece blew so freely, with less effort, and great tone and clear articulation all over the horn from top to bottom.

Over time that feeling persisted, though at times it felt too small to me. I had a really busy fall, with a few weekends where I had as many as seven gigs over three days, and along about the fourth or fifth gig the 24.8 would start to feel a little cramped. I asked Luke to send along a 25.1 top. For me, it is even better. More room, more flexibility, absolutely no loss in the upper register, and for me it accentuates all of the good qualities I was enjoying in the 24.8. To me, this supports AR Resonance's assertion that the back bore is at least as important as the rim and cup.

I agree with the comments from earlier posts, and would add that it feels like it encourages proper support and articulation. I've played *many* 11C's and most recently one from a highly-regarded custom maker that I played for several months and really liked it, but only when playing the AR did I realize how much I was fighting it, and prior pieces I had used. I am not fighting the AR, it's liberating my efforts.

Gotta say, really amazing. When I think about how long people have been making trombone mouthpieces, it's impressive to see such an improvement in something so simple.

And Luke is a great guy to work with. Flexible, responsive, and accommodating. And I've already paid for everything so I'm not buttering him up.

My 2 cents, and cheers,

Don Mikkelsen
Zandit75

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:44PM »

Wow, so many options, how do you make a decision?
I'm currently using a Schilke 59 on my Shires Trom, could someone suggest what the closest model from AR would be?
And just to throw in a complete newbie question, what different does the colour make, silver, rose or yellow gold?
I can see why there would be different sounds from bell made from different materials, but I honestly don't see how a MP made from different materials would make that much of a difference?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2017, 05:52AM »

Firstly, all the discussion so far has been on tenor mouthpieces; generally between 11C and 5G size.

For the question about color affecting the sound, the color you see is a plating -- most mouthpieces are made of brass.  The different materials (generally silver plate vs. gold plate) affect how the mouthpiece feels.  This may affect your playing but shouldn't.  I would be cautious about any "colored" gold plate since a common metal used to change the color is nickel and some have an allergy to nickel.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
AR Resonance

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2017, 06:35AM »

Again, thanks to ALL of you guys, these reviews are very welcome!
I don't believe the finish on a mouthpiece affects sound or at least not in a way most players say they perceive. I'm leaning more toward the idea that the FEEL of the material affects our perception and ability to relax while playing. Gold is definitely more slippery and feels warmer to most, this totally has an effect on how you can play and thus sound, that's for sure.
Colored gold can be obtained in different ways, in my case 99.999999% of my gold plated mouthpieces are 24Kt, no additional things like cobalt that many use for hardening the surface: it doesn't look the same as 24Kt gold in my opinion.
My rose gold is just a mixture of 24Kt with copper, no Nickel at all. While people can be allergic to anything nowadays copper is less likely than Nickel. Still, I think pure gold is the best option and, to me, looks better in person than rose gold.
Silver: you can't go wrong, less striking but cheaper and looks cool enough already. :)
(Soon-ish I'll make them in surgical grade steel and possibly in phosphor bronze)
Thanks a lot to everybody!
JMartin

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:28AM »

Again, thanks to ALL of you guys, these reviews are very welcome!
I don't believe the finish on a mouthpiece affects sound or at least not in a way most players say they perceive. I'm leaning more toward the idea that the FEEL of the material affects our perception and ability to relax while playing. Gold is definitely more slippery and feels warmer to most, this totally has an effect on how you can play and thus sound, that's for sure.
Colored gold can be obtained in different ways, in my case 99.999999% of my gold plated mouthpieces are 24Kt, no additional things like cobalt that many use for hardening the surface: it doesn't look the same as 24Kt gold in my opinion.
My rose gold is just a mixture of 24Kt with copper, no Nickel at all. While people can be allergic to anything nowadays copper is less likely than Nickel. Still, I think pure gold is the best option and, to me, looks better in person than rose gold.
Silver: you can't go wrong, less striking but cheaper and looks cool enough already. :)
(Soon-ish I'll make them in surgical grade steel and possibly in phosphor bronze)
Thanks a lot to everybody!

I would love trying a bronze and stainless steel piece.  Iíll be on the lookout for those! 

Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:47AM »

I`m becoming interested in these. I play (mostly) a Bach 7C.
Do they have a similar rim and how does the cup compare?
I really like the sound and feel of my 7C`s but.... being the gear geek that I am
has anyone played a 7C -ish model?

ďWhere words leave off, music begins.Ē
― Heinrich Heine
lmalewic

"Resonance"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:24AM »

I`m becoming interested in these. I play (mostly) a Bach 7C.
Do they have a similar rim and how does the cup compare?
I really like the sound and feel of my 7C`s but.... being the gear geek that I am
has anyone played a 7C -ish model?

From the guys that have left a post I believe Don Mikkelsen is now playing a 25.1mm top and that would be the closest to a 7C size. Kevin Cerovich just tried the 25.1 as well and is ordering one in gold plate.

Chicago Freelance Jazz Trombonist
www.LukeMalewicz.com
griffinben

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:07PM »

I got my 25.4 V+ and C+ cups in this week.   

WOW.   

Totally blows my best Mt. Vernon 6 1/2AL out of the water.  I've gravitated more toward the V+; it's a little easier to blow through the harmonic series of the horn.  A little more slippery, which I like.  The C+ has more bounce but grips more.  I'm waiting to try some of the other backbores before making a final determination, i think the right backbore could make the C+ a good "lead" piece for me.  I'm hooked.

Everything is so stable, extremely easy to play in all ranges of the horn.  It doesn't have the same 'pop' up top as the standard C cup up high, but it's thicker and richer below middle Bb. 

Ben

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: