Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080934 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AR Resonance Mouthpieces  (Read 1359 times)
lmalewic

"Resonance"

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 16, 2017, 05:12PM »

Hello fellow trombonists,
I recently began working with Antonio Rapacciuolo of AR Mouthpieces and I am excited to announce that we have come out with something special for small-bore trombones. Antonio does have a full range of classical, and bass trombone mouthpieces also that are fantastic. If you would like more information on the pieces check out www.arresonance.com, and  https://www.facebook.com/arresonancesrl/. There are already 40-50 of them floating around the midwest for trumpet and now the same is happening for trombones. Antonio has a very unique two-piece mouthpiece system which allows you to tailor the piece to play the way you are used to rather than having to adjust to the blow of the piece. From my few weeks of playing on my piece I have noticed improvements in intonation, articulation and sound that I was not getting before. If you would like more information please send me an email, I do not get to check this forum too often. Please email me at     

l m a l e w i c   AT
g m a i l   DOT
c o m   

Here are some pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/skl3eoynanbgm58/_DSC0023.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gft9g9r396ia5fh/_DSC0016.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/obtmp1coy3g81dc/_DSC0008.jpg?dl=0

Chicago Freelance Jazz Trombonist
www.LukeMalewicz.com
growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2017, 03:07PM »

They definitely look the shiznit, and appear to be priced accordingly.  I guess the competition with Monette extends beyond the name.

The website doesn't yet have too many details regarding the trombone mouthpieces; what sort of sizes are being offered in the small bore range?

If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
lmalewic

"Resonance"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2017, 08:05AM »

As far as sizes we are currently making a full range of small and large shank pieces. Here are the various rim sizes available for each....

Small shank:
26.0mm
25.7mm
25.4mm
25.1mm
24.8mm
24.5mm

Symphonic:
XL   27.2mm
VL   26.8mm
L   26.4mm
ML   26.0mm
M   25.6mm
MS   25.2mm
S   24.8mm

Bass Trombone:
BL   28.4mm
BM   28.0mm
BS   27.6mm

Get in touch with Antonio Rapacciuolo (via facebook) or myself via email (check original post) if you have any specific questions.

www.LukeMalewicz.com
heinz gries

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2017, 07:11AM »

which cup deep, throat and backbore size are avaiable for the small shank version?

T.Mittag custom alto
Helmut Voigt alto with modified 36 Bach slide and brassark copper leadpipe
Conn 34H alto in D
Courtois alto
Bach LT6,gold plated,with Hoelle copper tuningslide.
Getzen Super deluxe silver plated and copper rim bell
Getzen 3508
lmalewic

"Resonance"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2017, 09:31AM »

All of the small shank pieces have the same cup which is a C cup but not too shallow, and slightly V-Shaped. The throat is 6mm. We will be trying out different throat sizes eventually but for now there is no need for it. I've currently had 4 guys in Chicago come out to my place and they all left with a mouthpiece so the design is working great. There are 5 different backbores that we narrowed down from 9. You would need to try 3 of them to get a sense of which one fits your playing the best but we can probably do a good estimate by talking to you.

If you have more questions please email me at  L M A L E W I C at G M A I L dot C O M

www.LukeMalewicz.com
RJMason

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2017, 11:21AM »

Hey Forum,

I wanted to offer a review of the AR mouthpiece I just purchased from Luke. He mailed it to me two weeks ago with three different backbones (shanks) to try. I was previously using a hammond 13M since 2010. Another great mouthpiece.

My cup and rim size are similar to the Bach 6.5 size. This mouthpiece gave me a lot more core in the sound. Everything felt more stable and consistent. I tend to play vintage horns or tinker with parts because I like unique characteristics in my horns, but was looking for a component that could give me a uniformity in sound and an ease of playing across all registers without adjusting my face too much, and this piece has done it.

It also isn't as unforgiving as a Monette piece is...I enjoyed a Prana piece briefly but in live situations where I was pushing and playing incredibly loud it would back up on me and punish me for playing it differently than the "Dave Monette approach". This piece encourages good habits without punishing you for bad ones. It feels comfortable on the lips and has a nice weight to it. Heavier than my old Hammond but I like the stability that provides.

Luke also sent me three different screw on backbore shanks to try. Labeled 40, 43, and 46. They definitely make a difference in how the overtones sound--40 makes them sound closer together and very punchy, and 46 the overtones are spread out and broaden up the sound, 43 was right in the middle. There are also different resistances levels. Mine is one of the most open.

It may sound confusing but Luke is a pro trombonist with a lot of knowledge of musical situations and gear, so if you describe which horns you play on, which size and type mouthpiece you currently play, and the styles of music you want to use this piece on, he will steer you in the right direction.

Out of the backbores he sent I picked the 46--I like a broader tone especially on my .500 horns since I play pretty loud and punchy already.

The mouthpiece is also satin silver and looks beautiful! For the first time ever on a show, an audience member pointed to me and yelled "I want your mouthpiece!!" Haha. So if you're looking for a statement piece this can be it.

I'm hoping to try the Symphonic pieces at some point since I feel these mouthpieces can provide the attributes Symphonic players strive for in their approach.

Feel free to ask me any other questions I'll keep you posted!

-Ray

Lawler .500 Bore
Conn 6H with Butler Carbon Fiber Slide
Bach LT36BG
NY Bach Model 30
B.A.C. Custom King 3BF w/ Williams rotor
Conn 72H
Olds Flugabone
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2017, 12:45PM »

=====

I bought one from Luke today. In my 53 years as a trombonist it is the first mouthpiece that I have ever played that jumped out and grabbed me. For me, mouthpieces have always been a compromise. Compromise is not a word I would use to describe this AR Resonance piece.

It makes me sound like a better version of me. Wow. Mine is the small shank standard weight 24.8 mm, 6mm throat, 43 backbore, and a 10.5 shank. The shank number refers to how thin or thick the shank is. The 10.5 is quite thin, though there is a thinner one that Luke decided I should not even try because it wouldn't make a difference. I agreed, because it was so thin that you'd have to be extremely careful when inserting and removing the piece.

Anyway, this hep Italian cat that goes by the name of Antonio Rapacciuolo knows what he's doing! Ya dig?

-------
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2017, 06:15AM by The Sheriff » Logged

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2017, 01:24PM »

OK.I give up. How do I get ahold of one in NYC? Anybody? Do they ship on approval?

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
ntap

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2017, 01:33PM »

Sam, I  have one. I'll text you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: