Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072617 Posts in 71134 Topics- by 18853 Members - Latest Member: UtahTrombone
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bartok Valve // Plug In 2nd  (Read 283 times)
Kmanbassjam

View Profile
« on: Jul 17, 2017, 04:38AM »

What do you think of a horn that would use the linkages from a Bartok valve (like a trigger on a trumpet, but to take the F valve to an E/Eb remotely) to operate a plug in D valve?
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2017, 05:17AM »

What do you think of a horn that would use the linkages from a Bartok valve (like a trigger on a trumpet, but to take the F valve to an E/Eb remotely) to operate a plug in D valve?
I'm not sure I understand.  I would guess that plug-in valves are way more common than Bartok linkages that just move the slide. The main difficulty making a conversion is that the point of a Bartok linkage is to make a LONG linear stroke with a small lever movement, where a valve linkage is there to make a small rotation based off of a smaller lever movement.  Might have some parts to make a lever from, but it might be easier to just start from scratch, depending on the setup.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2017, 07:47AM »

If it's set up like what Thein uses, that's much more complicated than what would be necessary for a slot-in valve (as Andy pointed out - it's necessary to turn a rather short motion at one end into a long motion at the other). If you already had an instrument with the Bartok setup, you probably could use the Bartok levers, but you might be better served to get a second, simpler linkage (using the same pivot saddles) made for the slot-in.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2017, 08:46AM »

Yeah, I've seen a few plug in D valves, and the linkage is far more simple than a Bartok Valve.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2017, 09:01AM »

There's actually some pictures of a horn similar to this in the 'Bass Trombone Appreciation Society' Facebook group that was posted a few days ago. I believe it was a Hagmann valve with a 2nd drop in Eb valve. Unless I'm mistaking your description!

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: