Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076721 Posts in 71380 Topics- by 18948 Members - Latest Member: feelgoodcharlie
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Schilke 58 compared to Wick 1 AL  (Read 372 times)
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« on: Jul 24, 2017, 03:24PM »

So I got to be part of Doug Elliott's grand tour of the USA last week. He actually came to my house for a lesson, which I really appreciate.

As part of the lesson, I asked about improving my trigger register and he suggested that I go from my Schilke 53 to a 58 on my large bore tenor. I have a 58 that I have used for euphoniuming for a long time and have occasionally played it on trombone. It does help open up the low range, but I definitely lose focus above a high F (3rd space above the staff - not the really really high F). So I am wondering if something with a similar rim size but not quite so deep a cup would work for me. The Wick 1AL looks like it might fit the bill. I have never played a Wick mp. Can anyone tell me how it compares to the 58?
Catastrophone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2017, 12:46AM »

I have played both fairly extensively and find the 1AL plays darker than the Schilke 58. If I were to use either of them on tenor it would be the 58.
fsgazda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2017, 07:33AM »

You might want to see if you can try one of the Joe Alessi mouthpieces.  Either Greg Black (which are now the "New York" models, I think) or Griego.  They have rims in the range of a Shilke 57 or 58 and a tenor cup.  I was quite surprised at how tenor-ish they sound.

Associate Professor of Music, Delaware State University, Dover, DE.
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2017, 12:37PM »

For a slightly more economical alternative than the NY/Alessi series mentioned, maybe a Marcinkiewicz 3??

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: