Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kanstul Trombone  (Read 6366 times)
bones

View Profile
« on: Nov 03, 2004, 02:34PM »

Guys,

I am considering buying my son a new Kanstul trombone.  I am familiar with most of the major trombone brands, and personally prefer my King 3B.  I haven't seen or played a Kanstul 'bone, but I own two Kanstul baritone bugles, and am very impressed with them.

Connor (my son) has been playing King Cleveland 605 and 606.  Both are "student" horns, with a .500" bore.  He's almost 15 years old, and is dedicated to band.

Here's a description of the horn:

"It features an 8" one-piece hand-hammered tempered bell and hand-fitted slides for smooth action. The bore is .500 for ease of playing and projection of sound. Comes with your choice of a quality Kanstul mouthpiece in either 6 1/2 AL or 12C size. "

I thought I would ask this forum for any personal experiences with Kanstul trombones.

Thanks!

"Bones"
Music City Legend Drum & Bugle Corps 2004-2006 Baritone / Board member
Cullman Community Band 2005-2006
Vinemont HS Pep Band 2002-2006 Trombone, Tuba
West Point HS Band 1977-1981 Trombone / Low Brass Section Leader
bhower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2004, 07:34PM »

The Kanstul small bore horns I have played in looking for a good jazz horn have impressed me ALOT.  I would say that they are very comparable to the awesome sounds of the Rath bones of Europe that are so popular these days as well.  The resell value on it might not be that great, just because not many people know the name, but if your kid is going to be playing on it for a while, then I would consider it a good investment.  I am strongly considering buying the Kanstul 1555 this weekend for my jazz playing.

so ...err.. yeah two thumbs up ! :-P

MUSICandCHARACTER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2004, 08:33PM »

The Kanstul 1555 has a 7 1/2 inch brass bell with a nickel slide and interchangeable leadpipes.  Very King like in sound.  With the right leadpipe mouthpiece combo it can be a very cutting lead jazz horn.  It can also be toned down a bit by changing the leadpipe and mouthpiece.  Magnificent horn.

The other choice is the 8" coper bell 1550 which will be more "Bach" like with a very singing jazz sound which could also be used for principal symphonic work.

The "ultimate" step-up horn IMO is the Kanstul 750. 8" bell, .500 bore and less than $900.  It is one of those intermediate horns that really has many qualities of a professional horn -- a superb value and great horn.

One last Kanstul option would be the 760.  It is a 500/530 dual bore F attachment trombone.  This horn could be nimble enough for jazz and yet very flexible and could easily play symphonic style or chamber music.   I really like the idea of a small dual bore horn for its flexibility.

Several very good choices from Kanstul.  Certainly a King 2B, 3B, 3B+, Bach 16 or even 36 are also good choices along with many other horns.

But this is some high praise for the Kanstul line "I would say that they are very comparable to the awesome sounds of the Rath bones of Europe that are so popular these days as well."  Wow -- and at a fraction of the cost of the Rath trombones.

Jim

Dr. Jim Fox
Minister of Music
Internet's most comprehensive mouthpiece comparison chart
Brass Instruments and Accessories
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2004, 10:13PM »

If you know anything about Olds trombones, then you know who Ziggy Kanstul was.

This is one of the best and one of the few remaining independant companies around.  I don't think buying a Kanstul could evr be an error.

denNIS
WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2004, 06:32AM »

I got to try some at ITF, mostly the basses, and was VERY impressed! The small bore horns were real nice, too.

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
TBcubed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2004, 08:44AM »

I can concur that there are similarities between the Kanstuls and Raths.  In the past four months I have purchased a red brass 7.5-inch bell Rath R10 (0.500 bore) and a bronze (probably gold) 8-inch bell Kanstul 750 (0.500 bore) from Steve Ferguson. Both are great horns.  I purchased the Kanstul for my son who just started in his 5th grade band. His band director (who is a bass trombonist) is quite impressed with my son's Kanstul. The Kanstul produces a fairly dark sound like the Rath, although it is not as silky smooth and warm as the Rath (which is probably in a league by itself in that regard).  The Rath blows open in all registers, while the Kanstul is a little less so in the lower register.  The Rath produces a fuller (fatter) tone in the lower register, while the Kanstul takes a little less effort in the higher register. The Kanstul slide (which was made by Zig himself) is smooth as glass.  The Kanstul is extremely responsive, perhaps even a bit snappier than the red-bell Rath (although probably not any snappier than a yellow-bell Rath).  The Kanstul is definitely a tremendous bargin, but the Rath is also worth every penny I paid.

Tom
bones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2004, 09:10PM »

Jim,

I was specifically looking at the 750.  But, the 760 has really caught my attention.  What is the price range on it?  Is there a difference in price between lacquer or silver?

The small dual-bore horn seems like a very versatile idea!

Willard

"Bones"
Music City Legend Drum & Bugle Corps 2004-2006 Baritone / Board member
Cullman Community Band 2005-2006
Vinemont HS Pep Band 2002-2006 Trombone, Tuba
West Point HS Band 1977-1981 Trombone / Low Brass Section Leader
Slipmo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2004, 10:18PM »

Willard,

Check out www.hornguys.com for Kanstul pricing, we have a 760 in stock and you can see the prices of the other models from them. I can't openly advertise kanstul prices on the forum, so you gotta do a little sleuthing from here.

The 760 is kind of a neat little horn, no other company really makes anything like it. For you forumers who don't know what a 760 is... its a dual bore .500/.530 trombone 8" bell with an f attachment, kinda like a 3BF but with a better valve and more options.

Noah Gladstone
Trombonist, Los Angeles

Brassark
New, Used, Vintage and Rare Brass-winds
www.brassark.com
https://www.facebook.com/TheBrassArk

Sackbuttist
Tesserae, Los Angeles
www.tesserae-la.com
MUSICandCHARACTER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:52AM »

Quote from: "Slipmo"
Willard,

Check out www.hornguys.com for Kanstul pricing, we have a 760 in stock and you can see the prices of the other models from them. I can't openly advertise kanstul prices on the forum, so you gotta do a little sleuthing from here.

The 760 is kind of a neat little horn, no other company really makes anything like it. For you forumers who don't know what a 760 is... its a dual bore .500/.530 trombone 8" bell with an f attachment, kinda like a 3BF but with a better valve and more options.

Noah description is right on.   Send me an email if you want to talk docfox@ibowtie.com or you can work with Noah and Steve ... they will do you right!

Jim

Dr. Jim Fox
Minister of Music
Internet's most comprehensive mouthpiece comparison chart
Brass Instruments and Accessories
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:32PM »

It sounds like that Kanstul 760 with its .500/.530 slide and F-attachment would be good for playing shows, or a good horn for 3rd part in a big band.

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: