Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092827 Posts in 72329 Topics- by 19432 Members - Latest Member: joshealejo
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Donations  (Read 6388 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:36AM »

I'd be more wont to push it if they fix the bugs that have crept in.  For example, you can't post pictures (unless they fixed that recently -- Brian?).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:43AM »

It could be saved if someone writes a "crawler" to collect and put everything in a new database before this database is lost  Good!

Taken care of! My bot that handles the classifieds takes a backup every time it checks. I would caution against people using a true crawler for this site as they tend to be high overhead, checking the whole site every time it runs. I built this one to only fetch updates and it does so slowly to not burden this server.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:02PM »

Taken care of! My bot that handles the classifieds takes a backup every time it checks. I would caution against people using a true crawler for this site as they tend to be high overhead, checking the whole site every time it runs. I built this one to only fetch updates and it does so slowly to not burden this server.
So, you have crawled the entire site Matt?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:17PM »

Could everyone interested in using Trombone Chat, by default, start each post here with an "ad" of sorts for that website?

use ur sig

;-)

let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:46PM »

use ur sig

;-)

I hardly ever read signatures...   :/

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:51PM »

So, you have crawled the entire site Matt?

Everything but Chit-Chat and Purely Politics. There's a hugely disproportionate amount of content on those parts. Last I checked everything else was ca. 30 MB of text. With those I suspect it would be at least 3x - 4x that size. 

Fortunately, it seems that the site is under a Creative Commons license so if it does go down, I can probably post it somewhere so long as I give credit to the contributors and make no financial gain out of it.  But I'm hoping that that day will be later rather than sooner if for no other reason than I don't want to research it to avoid getting slapped with a suit  ;-)

I also thought that the trombonechat would be more popular, though this site certainly has network effects.  Very cyclical. As long as people post here, more people will post here, etc. etc.

I'll have to check with Brian about the picture issue over there. I might be able to help fix it. That certainly is one of the detriments over here but it's technically a problem over there too at the moment. But fixing it over there would be easier than coming up with a custom bot over here and might help to get more traffic over there.

EDIT: Not sure what happened there.  Must have posted too soon. Fixed now.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:04PM »

If we ever have to head for the lifeboat, I doubt anybody really cares about PP Religion, or Chit-Chat.  Or even the Classifieds for that matter.

If it comes to that, contact Brian Keegan (Sliphorn) since he owns Trombone Chat.

Bruce Guttman
BillO

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:09PM »

Everything but Chit-Chat and Purely Politics.

Awesome!

You neednít worry about the content.  It also belongs to us.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:16PM »

Does this (from the Terms of Use) mean anything towards the discussion of who owns the content of this Forum?

"Post editing and deleting
Posts may be edited by the poster for a period of up to four days after posting.  Please note that, since the content is never actually fixed in a medium, the poster therefore holds no copyright on the material.  Neither does The Trombone Forum need a license to use/host the content in the post.  All posts are therefore public domain content."

...Geezer
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:39PM »

Please note that the limit on editing is now 48 hours and not 96 as you said.

As to rehosting on Trombone Chat, the owner has tried to negotiate with Richard without success.  If this Forum goes belly-up we will have nothing but whatever Matt has managed to cache.

Bruce Guttman
BillO

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:55PM »

There are a few problems with that clause Geezer.  First, the site is open internationally and the international laws concerning copyright will apply, not whatever is stated here.  2nd, once editing is disallowed the content is fixed in a medium - whatever it is stored on.  Finally, in the vast majority of countries in the world the creator of any Intelectual property has ultimate ownership of such IP unless they specifically release it to someone else.  This must additionally done for each identifiable item of IP (photograph, piece of music, painting, written ideas, designs, etc...).

Example, the things I write here are not outside my control unless I relinquish control individually to each post.  The laws in both Canada and the US make it clear that if I want my content removed, it must be.

I herewith grant permission for my contributed content to this site to be moved to trombonechat.com provided that such content, once moved, shall remain my property.  I also grant permission for said content to be made available for public viewing trough the trombonechat.com website.

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:02PM »

This is amazing! I want all the nonsense I've written on here to be removed permanently.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:16PM »

This is amazing! I want all the nonsense I've written on here to be removed permanently.

We don't usually do that.  Sorry.

Bruce Guttman
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:29PM »

There are a few problems with that clause Geezer.  First, the site is open internationally and the international laws concerning copyright will apply, not whatever is stated here.  2nd, once editing is disallowed the content is fixed in a medium - whatever it is stored on.  Finally, in the vast majority of countries in the world the creator of any Intelectual property has ultimate ownership of such IP unless they specifically release it to someone else.  This must additionally done for each identifiable item of IP (photograph, piece of music, painting, written ideas, designs, etc...).

Example, the things I write here are not outside my control unless I relinquish control individually to each post.  The laws in both Canada and the US make it clear that if I want my content removed, it must be.

I herewith grant permission for my contributed content to this site to be moved to trombonechat.com provided that such content, once moved, shall remain my property.  I also grant permission for said content to be made available for public viewing trough the trombonechat.com website.

Me too!

Well, that's two down! 19,401 to go! It's a start...

...Geezer
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:55PM »

But he said. It says...

But. But

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
BillO

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:13PM »

Ití s Harrisonís right.   If he really wantís it done, you legally have to do it.

Should not be that much effort.  I know phpbb and other forum systems.  They are all database backed and everyoneís posts should be easily selected and deleted.  This one is likely not too diffferent.

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:19PM »

Should be.

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:34PM »

Just more jokes. No need to delete all the secrets and gold nuggets I've deposited on this forum.

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:13PM »

We had a situation a year or two ago.  Frank Rossolino's widow was in the middle of a battle with a woman claiming to be Rossolino's daughter.  The widow wanted ALL posts from the "daughter" removed.  We did it.  Then her lawyer went to the Wayback Machine (where many Internet posts are cached) and found the posts we had removed and demanded we remove them.  We have no control over the Wayback Machine caches; she would have to take it up with them.

We also had a major pro who was posting pretty regularly on here suddenly remove all his posts by changing them to periods.  That was when we decided that there would be a limit to the amount of editing we would allow.  You want us to remove all posts?  Send a lawyer's letter to RLB.  He owns all the content.

Bruce Guttman
BillO

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:35PM »

Send a lawyer's letter to RLB.  He owns all the content.

I hate to be contrary, but he does not own the content.  He does not own the code.   He does not even own the operating system.  He only owns the hardware it is all running on.

He can delete everything if he wants, but there is nothing else he can legally do without express permission from the creators of the content.  Of course he can break the law and force us into the unenviable position of having to fight for our IP.  It all depends on who has the most money to buy lawyers.  If, of course, he is so inclined.

Needless to say, he cannot object to the content being copied.  Only we can.  Matt has copied it already and Iím fine with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: