Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088507 Posts in 71928 Topics- by 19308 Members - Latest Member: Paul Kokora
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Want to buy new jazz horn but want to demo horns for a time, I need help!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Want to buy new jazz horn but want to demo horns for a time, I need help!  (Read 2658 times)
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: Aug 09, 2017, 09:37AM »

Talk about feathers ruffled!  All the yah yah about the 2B is meaningless now.  The "new" Elkhart ones don't play remotely like the classic HN White or UMI horn, or for that matter one made 2 or 3 years ago.  IMHO neither does the 3B.  They are well made, but the real King magic is gone.  Go get a 2B or 3B from the 50's or 60's and you will never think of the Elkhart h o runs as Kings again.

That has been my experience with them as well...only at trade shows, etc., but still...

I think the newer Shires and Courtois .508s that I have played have been pretty classic King 3B-ish, myself. Maybe a just little...heavier. Apparently not quite there yet at Shires, but a little birdie recently told me that they are working on it...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 09, 2017, 12:50PM »

I've got an Eastlake King 3B from the mid 90s, and I've always liked it. I did once play an SS 2B that nearly came home with me even though I couldn't afford it at the time. It was magical.

If I was to get a 2B, it would have to be SS. I just find them to sound and feel awesome. The Brass 2B's are just not my thing. Too light. SS 3B on the other hand is almost too heavy.

But, it depends on you. A good 3B is very hard to beat. VERY hard. Just make sure you find a good one.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: Aug 10, 2017, 06:57AM »

I've got an Eastlake King 3B from the mid 90s, and I've always liked it. I did once play an SS 2B that nearly came home with me even though I couldn't afford it at the time. It was magical.

If I was to get a 2B, it would have to be SS. I just find them to sound and feel awesome. The Brass 2B's are just not my thing. Too light. SS 3B on the other hand is almost too heavy.

But, it depends on you. A good 3B is very hard to beat. VERY hard. Just make sure you find a good one.

I agree about the silver 2B and 3B. On a 2B the silver makes the horn sound more "modern"...at least in the NYC-centric sense that I am using the term...but on a 3B (although it is often a glorious sound), sometimes with some people it gets a little too glorious, if you know what I mean.

For section work, that is.

Later...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: