Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096679 Posts in 72538 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: best mouthpiece for jazz?  (Read 1909 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2017, 12:18PM »

Remember, she's going to a large bore horn.  I don't know too many 7C's with large shank (yes, they exist; but are rare).  She can easily get a 6.5 AL or a Yamaha 47B in large shank.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2017, 12:49PM »

Remember, she's going to a large bore horn.  I don't know too many 7C's with large shank (yes, they exist; but are rare).  She can easily get a 6.5 AL or a Yamaha 47B in large shank.

I read "King 3b" ...

Don't know

let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2017, 01:34PM »

My mouthpieces are super! Somedays. But other days they suck.

Love that one !  Good!
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2017, 01:34PM »

Perhaps there is a slight misconception that a "jazz" mpc means one on which a player can play very, very high. Not all players perform jazz in the high-end register. Shouldn't a jazz mpc selection process take into account in order of importance:

1) Sound - if you squawk like a duck, who would want to listen
2) Articulation - similarly, no one wants to listen to someone playing sloppily and chipping every other note
3) flexibility - jazz tends to showcase a player's ability to make at least some modest jumps
4) range - high range is an asset, but should it be more important than everything else?

If you like a given mpc and it re-orders the above for you in some other way - I contend you have made a questionable choice, regardless of what numbers & letters are stamped on the rim of the mpc, who the manufacturer is or even who else you know of plays on it.

We are judged as a player on how well we perform in public, not on how well we do in our practice room. It's nice to tinker with something that may give a kick of a couple top notes, but when what I play is exposed, in whatever group - give me my best sound and clearest articulation. I'll work around the other two if I must.

...Geezer

This is a pretty darn good discussion Forum (as they go). But as far as actual playing advice is concerned, don't let it take the place of an instructor you can relate to one-on-one.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: