Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080934 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: best mouthpiece for jazz?  (Read 1324 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2017, 12:18PM »

Remember, she's going to a large bore horn.  I don't know too many 7C's with large shank (yes, they exist; but are rare).  She can easily get a 6.5 AL or a Yamaha 47B in large shank.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2017, 12:49PM »

Remember, she's going to a large bore horn.  I don't know too many 7C's with large shank (yes, they exist; but are rare).  She can easily get a 6.5 AL or a Yamaha 47B in large shank.

I read "King 3b" ...

Don't know

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2017, 01:34PM »

My mouthpieces are super! Somedays. But other days they suck.

Love that one !  Good!
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2017, 01:34PM »

Perhaps there is a slight misconception that a "jazz" mpc means one on which a player can play very, very high. Not all players perform jazz in the high-end register. Shouldn't a jazz mpc selection process take into account in order of importance:

1) Sound - if you squawk like a duck, who would want to listen
2) Articulation - similarly, no one wants to listen to someone playing sloppily and chipping every other note
3) flexibility - jazz tends to showcase a player's ability to make at least some modest jumps
4) range - high range is an asset, but should it be more important than everything else?

If you like a given mpc and it re-orders the above for you in some other way - I contend you have made a questionable choice, regardless of what numbers & letters are stamped on the rim of the mpc, who the manufacturer is or even who else you know of plays on it.

We are judged as a player on how well we perform in public, not on how well we do in our practice room. It's nice to tinker with something that may give a kick of a couple top notes, but when what I play is exposed, in whatever group - give me my best sound and clearest articulation. I'll work around the other two if I must.

...Geezer

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: