Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076676 Posts in 71377 Topics- by 18946 Members - Latest Member: Mnk
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just curious: Tell me about Tubas?  (Read 1667 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:37AM »

I enjoyed my Eb tuba but I put it aside after I realized the bell was too close to my ear and hurting my hearing.

You have to hold it more upright so the bell is above your head.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:46AM »

You have to hold it more upright so the bell is above your head.

to paraphrase Gallagher...

If 6" away is the problem, 8" away is not the solution.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:09PM »

heavyset people in spandex.

Now I hate to change the subject of this thread, but what is the deal with that? It seems like the official dress code for some big girls around here is skin tight leggings with a giant sweatshirt that comes way down past their posterior. And not just for workout clothes - I mean for going out in public. Y'all can now flame away at me for my lack of political correctness. :D
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:04AM »

Now I hate to change the subject of this thread, but what is the deal with that? It seems like the official dress code for some big girls around here is skin tight leggings with a giant sweatshirt that comes way down past their posterior. And not just for workout clothes - I mean for going out in public. Y'all can now flame away at me for my lack of political correctness. :D

When I started commuting to the Emerald City back in ‘09, that was a commuter outfit of choice for the bikers. Pedal to work, change into WW at the office. I’m not concerned about political correctness. I’ll just spend my money in a more hospitable and organized business.

US 101 to Sequim, Port Angeles, and beyond......
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:43AM »

Now, I admit to being a bit on the chunky side, and I also admit to wearing lycra bike shorts. But only when I am riding a bike, not for going to work or appearing in public.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2017, 12:47PM »

Now, I admit to being a bit on the chunky side, and I also admit to wearing lycra bike shorts. But only when I am riding a bike, not for going to work or appearing in public.

You mean you only ride your bicycle in the basement? :-P

I just want to know why it seems that big people tend to play the tuba?  Makes "Tubby the Tuba" more like a slur...

We just did Tubby with our tubist, a rather large girl, playing the solo.  When the narrator said "Tubby, a big, fat tuba" I cringed.  (She did a great job on it.)

Bruce Guttman
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:22PM »

I just want to know why it seems that big people tend to play the tuba? 

As long as they’re not dressed up in oversized, droopy hoodies and spandex, I don’t care. I usually don’t see those people playing an instrument either. Wal-mart is a different story....

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:27PM »

Acknowledging exceptions exist, but small people tend not to do well with carrying the thing around and tend not to have the larger lung capacity to really flourish at it.

I acknowledge exceptions exist.

Robert Holmén

schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:37PM »

Acknowledging exceptions exist, but small people tend not to do well with carrying the thing around and tend not to have the larger lung capacity to really flourish at it.

I acknowledge exceptions exist.

I wouldn’t say that at all. They play an Eb tuba and can really belt it out. They also haul it around in a backpack style bag.

Radar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:49PM »

I took organ lessons for a year in college and it turned out that the Old Hundredth played directly from the hymnal is actually pretty obnoxiously difficult. I mean, everything was difficult for me on organ, but the Doxology especially so.
When I was in Sunday school as a kid playing piano for a few years I was asked to learn this to play at the beginning of Sunday School class, you are correct it isn't the easiest Hymn in the Hymnal (although it sounds like it should be).
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:06AM »

When I was in Sunday school as a kid playing piano for a few years I was asked to learn this to play at the beginning of Sunday School class, you are correct it isn't the easiest Hymn in the Hymnal (although it sounds like it should be).

I got it under my fingers on piano at one point, but I had to work my butt off to do so.  It's harder than it looks.  I couldn't play it now.

Well I could by cheating, right hand melody and left hand three chording. 

Tim Richardson
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 11, 2017, 06:44AM »

Is this the Doxology you are discussing?

Robert Holmén

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 11, 2017, 07:25AM »

Yes, that's it.  And after all, who can't play a simple SATB hymn at sight?  Mostly quarter notes, reasonable tempo, easy keys.

Well, most people.  We've had guest organists come in and play a hugely complicated prelude, then stumble on "simple" hymns. 

When I was helping out with music at a former church, and we lost the organ player, I heard a youngster playing Rhapsody in Blue at blistering showoff speed, so I asked if she could play the church service.  She took a look at the hymns and said easy, don't even need to rehearse.  Yeah right, I insisted, and she crashed and burned.  I ended up playing that Sunday myself instead.  Not SATB, obviously, I faked it. Close position I, IV, and V are your friends.

I grew up hearing my mother sightread hymns with never a stumble, effortlessly.  I didn't realize what skill that took. 

Actually I think they are easy if you specialize in them.  In any denomination they're all pretty similar and fingered the same, with a lot of common motifs. 

Tim Richardson
billepstein

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 11, 2017, 08:30AM »

I wouldn’t say that at all. They play an Eb tuba and can really belt it out. They also haul it around in a backpack style bag.

Carol Jantsch might agree!

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 11, 2017, 11:05AM »

So that one picture means that most tuba players are small females?

Robert Holmén

schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 11, 2017, 11:51AM »

I stopped making assumptions about who and what sized persons were suitable to play any instruments, after I saw Tom Malone play the Piccolo.

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 11, 2017, 12:40PM »

wiki says Arnold Jacobs had impaired lung capacity due to childhood illness and adult asthma. 

So air doesn't seem to limit a small person.  You would want to be strong enough to carry it, I guess. 

Tim Richardson
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 11, 2017, 12:43PM »

Don't even need that.  Cases have wheels.  The tuba itself is the issue.

Who plays (played) tuba?

Harvey Phillips

Roger Bobo

Velvet Brown

Mike Roylance

Big folks all.

Bruce Guttman
JWykell

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 11, 2017, 02:29PM »

FYI Not trying to insult anyone or their physical appearance with this post. Decades ago I went to camp at the Brevard Music Center. The tuba instructor at the time was Matt Good who I believe is currently the tubist with the Dallas Symphony. He was on the shorter side and at that time was playing a 6/4 CC tuba and he had amazing sound and flexability. At that time I also had the pleasure of meeting Charlie Vernon. Charlie certainly knows how to move some air. And those were the no leadpipe days. Charlie isn't exactly short but he isn't tall either. I'm 5 foot 10 and he is shorter than me. So yes you can be a shorter person and still be an amazing low brass musician. It's about efficiency not just volume.

As a side note I way around 310 and wear the $h!+ out of my spandex bibs and bike shorts when I ride the trails here. If it offends anyone because I'm fat and wearing spandex then thats their problem.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 11, 2017, 03:01PM »

wiki says Arnold Jacobs had impaired lung capacity due to childhood illness and adult asthma. 

I've learned to be doubtful about Arnold Jacobs anecdotes. When I was in college I was dutifully told that Arnold Jacob had even lost a lung to cancer!  Clever Not true of course.

I'll note that the Wikipedia article does not seem to cite the asthma assertion to any of the sources.

Also, "asthma" is a broad term that can mean a lot of things.

Robert Holmén

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: