Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087266 Posts in 72010 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scam Warning : Moss Recely in Georgia  (Read 1675 times)
DFWtrombonist

View Profile
« on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:51AM »

Hey everyone, I thought I would share this with anybody here so they don't get scammed either.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a wanted ad for a Schilke 60 CV bass trombone mouthpiece. I also posted the ad over at trombone.org classifieds. I was contacted by a person by the name of Moss Recely. He appeared to have the knowledge of bass trombone mouthpieces and equipment. I tend to believe that he is a musician as he would have knowledge that most people who do not play trombone would not have.

We negotiated a price of $200 and he gave me his address which is in Marietta Georgia. He told me his wife worked at Walmart and he gave me her name and had me send a MoneyGram to her there. The money was picked up and since that time there has been no communication from them regarding the mouthpiece. It looks like I've been taken for $200. I just wanted to share this story with everybody in case this person contacts them and tries to scam them for money too.
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:57AM »

Only use paypal.

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
DFWtrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:59AM »

Only use paypal.

Lesson learned. I just find a disheartening that a fellow trombone player would do this to one of their own.
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:10AM »

Lesson learned. I just find a disheartening that a fellow trombone player would do this to one of their own.

Seriously doubt he was a bone player!

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
John McKevitt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:13PM »

FWIW I live in Marietta GA. I have never heard of a Moss Recely,but I will ask around.What was his alleged wife's name and which Walmart was it.
Anointed1984

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:16PM »

I almost got scammed like that for the silversonic I posted about. The wanted me to send it thru Walmart,  never not use PayPal

Jazzbone
DFWtrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2017, 03:56PM »

Seriously doubt he was a bone player!

Well, he definitely knew a few things about trombone mouthpieces that the average person would not know.

FWIW I live in Marietta GA. I have never heard of a Moss Recely,but I will ask around.What was his alleged wife's name and which Walmart was it.

His wife's name was Teresa. I'm not sure which Walmart it was.

I almost got scammed like that for the silversonic I posted about. The wanted me to send it thru Walmart,  never not use PayPal

I will only use that in the future.
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04:27PM »

Well, he definitely knew a few things about trombone mouthpieces that the average person would not know.
www.google.com

NBee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04:52PM »

Just adding this. There is another person doing something eerily similar.

The name is Tamara N. Norris. This guy is operating in Wisconsin. Claims to have multiples trombones and asks for the same type of Wal*Mart money gram.

Bach Mount Vernon 34 (1954): XT N103G, XT C+, D2 Alto
Bach 42GT (1988): XT N104G, XT HC, H8, XT 104G, XT G+, G+9
Bach 42BLTN (narrow slide) (2005): XT N104G, XT HC, H8, XT N103G, XT G+, G+9
DFWtrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:01PM »

Well, this story has a happy ending. I called Wal-Mart's customer service number for the money transfers to report the fraud. It turns out the money was never picked up after over a week and a half. They issued a refund to me and stopped payment to the scammer.
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2017, 06:36PM »

Well, this story has a happy ending. I called Wal-Mart's customer service number for the money transfers to report the fraud. It turns out the money was never picked up after over a week and a half. They issued a refund to me and stopped payment to the scammer.

Sweet!

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2017, 04:48AM »

Folks, as a reminder:

Unless you are buying from someone you know (or otherwise trust because of their track record), ALWAY pay using PayPal and make it a purchase.  Yes, you may have to cover the PayPal fee (usually 3%) but you will have protection against scams.

--Yamaha 620G bass w/ Shires HW bell
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:10AM »

I always thought these kind of deals were done out near the abandoned warehouses -- you each show up with your whole gang and toss your briefcases at the same time. When you both open the case and see that it only contains rocks, your gangs can both open fire with submachine guns and/or bust out the nunchucks and brass knuckles.

Or that you used PayPal. How is moneygram and western union even a thing anymore? I'm pretty sure it's only used by Nigerian princes now.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2017, 08:03AM »

The WalMart money center is busy from opening to close, with long lines.

Being poor is very expensive.  If you make minimum wage you don't have a bank account, can't afford the fees.  You cash your check, pay your bills, send money at walmart.  Of course they charge a fee to cover their personnel costs and that fee is significant.

Tim Richardson
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:01AM »

I always thought these kind of deals were done out near the abandoned warehouses -- you each show up with your whole gang and toss your briefcases at the same time. When you both open the case and see that it only contains rocks, your gangs can both open fire with submachine guns and/or bust out the nunchucks and brass knuckles.

Or that you used PayPal. How is moneygram and western union even a thing anymore? I'm pretty sure it's only used by Nigerian princes now.

I used Money Gram to send money to my daughter in Poland when she was ripped off and had no money. Surprisingly it worked perfectly but it was my only option for quick results. Last I checked I'm not a Nigerian princess.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:12AM »

Last I checked I'm not a Nigerian princess.

They have mail-in dna tests now - you should find out once and for all... you might be surprised!  :D

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
John McKevitt

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:29AM »

I was recently contacted by the  Nigerian Consulate saying that a long lost relative that passed had left me over 2 million in his will. A courier will be bringing a box with the money.All I have to do is give them $897 upfront for their costs. Damn I am lucky.
fleanutbutter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2017, 12:24PM »

That's fantastic news!  $900 is a pretty small investment to get $2M.  I wish I had your luck.
Anointed1984

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:04PM »

Could we keep this pinned in the top of this classified section, and keep it updates ??

Jazzbone
John McKevitt

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2017, 10:18PM »

I would like to see a compilation, a  more complete list of
Scammers. A list with their emails what sites they contacted you through and
where are they located if known. Apparently this is Worldwide, as I have been contacted  by Scammers thru posts I put on German and UK sites. Over a period of 3 yrs I had collected over $10,000
in useless checks for instruments I was selling.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: