Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076719 Posts in 71380 Topics- by 18948 Members - Latest Member: feelgoodcharlie
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jet-Tone Design  (Read 607 times)
Pteranabone

View Profile
« on: Aug 11, 2017, 08:53PM »

In the 70's, many prominent brass players were playing (or at least endorsing) Jet-Tones.  (I bought the Urbie Green "M" as a student, contrary to my instructor's advice).  I note that they are of a lighter material than most mouthpieces and lack plating.  They are also all V shaped rather than cupped.  Anyone have any knowledge in why they chose their engineering design parameters?  Also, how did they garner so many endorsements (beyond the obvious $ answer).
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2017, 10:14PM »

You may notice that there weren't many classical players endorsing Jet Tones.  I have a Jet Tone B.  It's a good "high note getter" but I never liked my tone on it.  Apparently not too many other folks did either.  I think some of them were aluminum.  Mine seems to be.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2017, 03:31PM »

In the 70's, many prominent brass players were playing (or at least endorsing) Jet-Tones.  (I bought the Urbie Green "M" as a student, contrary to my instructor's advice).  I note that they are of a lighter material than most mouthpieces and lack plating.  They are also all V shaped rather than cupped.  Anyone have any knowledge in why they chose their engineering design parameters?  Also, how did they garner so many endorsements (beyond the obvious $ answer).

I'm pretty sure they had an option of mouthpieces made from aluminum. Would be light and would require no plating.

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

'65 Bach 34B
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2017, 04:33PM »

Most Jet Tone Mouthpieces were around a 12C-ish size. They also made the oddist Bass Trombone mouthpiece I`ve ever seen.
For a very brief period in the 1980`s they made a 6 1/2 Al and a 7C. I have one of the 7C`s made out of Aluminum.
The rim contour feels very much like my Doug Elliott 98 rim.The Mouthpiece gets a different sound (slightly) because of the alluminum.
A sound tech friend of mine that also makes speakers said that he stopped using aluminum because it does`nt  react to sound vibrations that same as say  - Brass
I always thought the design was cool looking.

“Where words leave off, music begins.”
― Heinrich Heine
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2017, 01:55AM »

I had a Buddy Morrow model. It was silver plated and had what I can only describe as an inverted cup, played high very easily with a clear cutting sound. It was about the same width as an 11C, but had a flatter rim, and I used it to liven up a "butchered" Bach 12 horn.

You can see a little of the shape here; the inside profile is similar to outer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jet-Tone-jet-tone-mouthpiece-reissue-series-trombone-BM-Buddy-Morrow-mode-P-O-/112456526625?epid=1263001356&hash=item1a2eee6b21:g:LWgAAOSwAO9ZUCfa
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2017, 05:48AM »

Looks like an extreme double cup, if I see it right.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:26AM »

I don't know about the Buddy Morrow model, but mine (B) was a "single cup".

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2017, 09:48AM »

Looks like an extreme double cup, if I see it right.

Not really, the inside dropped straight down a little way, and the cup or bowl was concave rather than convex. One of a kind?
novalvz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2017, 06:54PM »

I have an original one in brass.  Stamped "BUDDY MORROW MODEL 1" .

The inner cup shape is as described by Pre59.   
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2017, 06:57PM »

The Ms and Ds that I've seen have a cup that goes up to the edge of the throat and then drops immediately into the throat (a very clean, hard angle).  Other than the Morrow I used to own, I've never played one I thought was usable, much less good.

-John
kempsmj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:15 PM »

I purchased a used trombone (Kühnl & Hoyer Bart van Lier .512) and in the case was a Jet Tone Studio Model M.

I don't like the mouthpiece. It is nearly impossible to have a good tone while playing soft.
This is a mouthpiece for playing loud all the time... and even then the tone was to bright for me.

I keep using the Yamaha GP45c2 which allows me to have a warm and clear tone in all dynamics.

But mouthpieces are very personal. So just try before you buy.
Steve Foote

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:54 PM »

I have a JT catalog copywriten 1990. There were two series of mouthpieces in silver plated brass - Studio and Urbie Green. Each series has Shallow (S), Medium (M) and Deep(D).
All except the Studio S have a .969 in. rim. The Studio S has a .984 in. rim. The Studio S was formerly known as the Buddy Morrow #2. I had a Studio D and still have UG D & S. I cannot speak as to the shape of the Studio S but the D had straight walls which went down maybe 1/4 or 3/8" and then went to a funnel with no transition either from the walls to the "cup" or from the "cup" to the throat. I could play it and got a decent tone but I was exhausted after about 5 minutes. I "gave" it to Troy and he was kind enough to send me a little money for what I considered worthless junk.
The Urbie S & D that I have look like a Bach 12C on the inside but there is less transition from the cup to the throat. They have a smaller throat and backbore which prevents you from pushing much air through so volume is limited. I used the UG S just a little but used the UG D quite a bit. 
The aluminum mouthpieces are listed as 6-1/2 AL, 7-C and 12-C.
About this same time, 1990, I had a trumpet playing friend who got JT to produce a limited run (maybe 25 or 30) of a mouthpiece they had discontinued. Apparently they would make what you wanted if it was economically profitable to do so.
Based on this I would not be surprised at anything that turns up with a JT name on it.

And be ye kind one to another, tenderharted, forgiving one another even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.  Eph 4:32
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: