Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092544 Posts in 72173 Topics- by 19438 Members - Latest Member: Messing
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderator: zemry) Christian Lindbergh Focus
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Christian Lindbergh Focus  (Read 2763 times)
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2017, 03:49PM »

Yes, Dan Hine, THAT Regina, Sask.

Point of clarification, Dan: the photo you included is famous for a bit of history. In the 1930s, during the Great Depression, local unemployed men were conscripted to dig the lake you see here in the photo with hand shovels, as a form of slave labour. If you wanted to collect "Relief", AKA The Dole, you had to work.

A local bridge was built over the lake, known as Wascana, Lake. It stands as the world record holder for the longest span of bridge over the shortest width of running water. The bridge is some 1/2 mile long, and spans water a width of 3 feet. There is a small causeway opened under the bridge ( Victoria Bridge) to allow a trickle of water to keep the water in a sort of current. Just enough current to prevent algae.

Quite an engineering feat, considering that the lake is at most some 18" deep. Yes, the lake is an optical illusion, and a shopping cart deposited there, or bicycle on a kick-stand, is visible from the shore.

As a young infantryman myself training on arctic conditions ( I didn't kid about the Siberia aspect) we had to pull sleds with snowshoes and then walk in circles on the "lake" to replicate the steppes of central Asia, our likely enemy being then Russia. It was a bit of a joke.....we could have trained for arctic warfare anywhere, as there was a clear path from Texas to Vladisvostok out our back doors.
But the lake was used, because there was a navy base in the photo where the officers could drink, while the infantry made tea in a blizzard in tents, from the man-powered sleds.

A navy in the prairie. Yes. The training buildings are known as "Stone Frigates"...and the walkways inside are known as "decks." Madness.

The trees and the lake are strictly for tourists, and maintained at a huge expense.
But, yes, Dan...in the center of the photo you supplied was Darke Hall, where I caught the Lindberg masterclass-- if you know where to look it is clearly shown in the photo.
Pteranabone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:58PM »

Can we at least spell the poor guy's name korrecktly please?
Sorry.  No disrespect intended.  I am a fan.
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:47PM »

Yes, Dan Hine, THAT Regina, Sask.

Thanks for the history lesson.  Still doesn't seem that grim.

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:36PM »

Thanks for the history lesson.  Still doesn't seem that grim.

Regina facts:

Regina typically has 201 days a year when the minimum temperature is at 0 °C or below. It also averages 322 days of sunshine/year.

The city’s murder rate is the highest in Canada among large cities. Last year, there were eight homicides in Regina (up from five in 2014) for a rate of 3.30 per 100,000 of population.
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 26, 2017, 03:18AM »

Ok.... Don't know

Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:22AM »

Regina facts:

The city’s murder rate is the highest in Canada among large cities. Last year, there were eight homicides in Regina (up from five in 2014) for a rate of 3.30 per 100,000 of population.

And Canada has a high instance of Police suicides as well if a news feed story I read a while back is true..

In my reality..
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2017, 05:01AM »

Must've been too depressing to want to hang out after the master class. I get it now.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:39AM »

Must've been too depressing to want to hang out after the master class. I get it now.

I don't know.  Sounds warmer than Fairbanks, AK and with fewer homicides.  And more sunlight.   Don't know

bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:20AM »

I don't know.  Sounds warmer than Fairbanks, AK and with fewer homicides.  And more sunlight.   Don't know

Yeah but you probably can't picture;

"Vladisvostok, Siberia if you have a firm mental image of what life in a USSR gulag would be like."

So I guess we will just never know which is worse  :D
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:45AM »

Maybe we should just ask Christian Lindberg and be done with it.

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:20PM »

I was talking about the denizens

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: