Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086752 Posts in 71922 Topics- by 19223 Members - Latest Member: Adamgtrombonetrumpet87
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trump's statement against racism  (Read 8696 times)
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:36AM »

The next time the president's campaign fundraiser for 2020 comes rolling through your town, please stay home (and lock your doors.)
There is no guarantee the current mental pygmy will still be president in 2020.

We have to be careful.  DD has this thread bookmarked.  He may send it off to the orange buffoon if he does not like what he reads here.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:52AM »

TPM saw this coming before it happened...

Don’t Be a Chump

The problem with the continued begging, ‘why won’t he denounce, why won’t he denounce’ is that at some point, maybe later today, President Trump will go before a podium and read off through gritted teeth a pro-forma denunciation of Nazis and it will seem to a lot of people like it means something when it doesn’t. He’s already made crystal clear where he stands here.

The question is how we individually and as a country are going to deal with that fact, not how many more mulligans we’re going to give him. His neo-nazi supporters are truly over the moon that he’s steadfastly refusing to criticize them, even in the face of withering criticism and derision. They get the message. They’re ecstatic. Everyone who doesn’t see this, see that it is intentional, is getting played for chumps.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
altoid
« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:14PM »

Bookmarked

Is this supposed to have some significance to other thread participants? If so, please explain.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:20PM »

I'd love to see DD come out and make a statement condemning white nationalism, but I won't hold my breath.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:25PM »

I'd love to see DD come out and make a statement condemning white nationalism, but I won't hold my breath.

Please don't.  It makes it very hard to play :-P

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:39PM »

:D
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:56PM »

Is this supposed to have some significance to other thread participants? If so, please explain.

I think he means he posted on it so it would pop up in his 'new replies' folder. I do that occasionally.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:25PM »

If Trump's initial statement didn't please most Republicans and Democrats, it pleased most people.

In Trump’s statement about Charlottesville Saturday, he refused to specifically condemn the white supremacists who besieged this picturesque college town. “We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides ― on many sides,” he told reporters during a late-afternoon news conference in New Jersey.

White supremacists were more than pleased with his reaction. “Trump’s comments were good,” read a post on the prominent white nationalist site Daily Stormer as they live-blogged yesterday’s events.

“He refused to answer a question about White Nationalists supporting him,” the post continued. “No condemnation at all. When asked to condemn, he just walked out of the room. Really, really good. God bless him.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/happened-charlottesville-inevitable-173348389.html

The next step after that was the "White House" releasing a statement, under pressure, which Trump refused to state in his own voice and which referred to him in the third person.

Now his staff has finally pushed him to speak up and say out loud that the KKK is bad. What president would have had trouble saying that? He's quick to toss off insults at the drop of a hat.

Why can't he tweet, "I'll tell these Nazi losers right now, I don't want them wearing my hats when they give their stupid Nazi salutes"?

He seems to manage that tone with everyone in the world, from Meryl Streep to Mitch McConnell,with the two exceptions being neo-Nazis and Putin.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:40PM »

If Trump's initial statement didn't please most Republicans and Democrats, it pleased most people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/happened-charlottesville-inevitable-173348389.html

The next step after that was the "White House" releasing a statement, under pressure, which Trump refused to state in his own voice and which referred to him in the third person.

Now his staff has finally pushed him to speak up and say out loud that the KKK is bad. What president would have had trouble saying that? He's quick to toss off insults at the drop of a hat.

Why can't he tweet, "I'll tell these Nazi losers right now, I don't want them wearing my hats when they give their stupid Nazi salutes"?

He seems to manage that tone with everyone in the world, from Meryl Streep to Mitch McConnell,with the two exceptions being neo-Nazis and Putin.

Clearly he is beholden to people
 he DOESN'T insult. Very suspicious imo.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02:57PM »

In denouncing neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan as criminals and thugs, it seems that Trump, or somebody in his camp, has at last started to listen to what Americans are saying about him, rather than blaming it all on false Press reporting. Now Americans need to convince him he is not qualified for the job in any way and should step down.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Aug 14, 2017, 03:05PM »

It's not about realizing he was wrong, it's just about checking off the "statement" box so he can say he did it and no one can say he didn't.

No further leadership against white supremacists or the like will come from this statement.

Robert Holmén

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 14, 2017, 03:28PM »

The Donald--our cartoon president--is a coward in every way--morally, intellectually, and physically (although some hopelessly incompetent judges of character, bad enough to still vote for him today, might not know that he'd never voluntarily serve, nor would he involuntarily serve without a fight. Of course those hopelessly incompetent judges of character who are hopelessly incompetent enough might also actually be vapid enough to try and argue military school counts as actual military service in this regard. His praise for those who demonstrate physical courage by serving comes across as encouraging others to take risks so he and his (those he does actually value) don't have to.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
badger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 14, 2017, 04:31PM »

I’ve been in the field and not current, but I do not know this person or this organization...Yet, found this.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/jason-kessler

Something is amiss.

We also had a helicopter crash (pilot error, mechanical)?  Don't know
Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 14, 2017, 04:38PM »

In his first speech he condemned hate groups, did he not? Every American knows that the phrase "hate group" automatically includes the KKK. Why should he have to name every specific hate group in America? Is that necessary? Also, it may have too early in the ballgame to determine if the driver was part of a group, or was just some random angry guy from Ohio. If he wasn't part of an organized group, how can a death be attributed to them?

The very same folks who are railing against Trump to name specific groups, are also the ones who were going around saying "F*** Trump" during the protest. How is the President supposed to respond to that group? Do they get a free pass to just say whatever they want during a protest? I think that's a bit of a double standard.

If you were paying attention to the protests and watching the scuffling, it was coming from both sides.

Irregardless of whether or not one voted for Trump (I didn't), I think the man should be treated with respect in public because he's our President.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 14, 2017, 04:45PM »

If you respect the office, then you must be extremely disappointed in its current occupant. Is it disrespectful to insist that he act presidentially?
Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 14, 2017, 04:58PM »

If you respect the office, then you must be extremely disappointed in its current occupant. Is it disrespectful to insist that he act presidentially?

You're welcome to be extremely disappointed if you want to; that's up to you, but the topic at hand is the news conference and what he said.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 14, 2017, 05:00PM »

If you were paying attention to the protests and watching the scuffling, it was coming from both sides.

The old "oh, dear...both sides do it" line rings very hollow when we know that one side was there (their stated purpose) to keep up a monument dedicated to the people who wanted to keep human slavery in this country and use it as a rallying point for their inhuman agenda.

Human slavery! Kidnapping people from their homes, forcing them into a life of hard labor and killing them if they don't give in to it. People who fought for slavery do not deserve monuments making them look valorous, and we don't need monuments feeding the fantasies of people who think they were.

This isn't a high school debate topic where either side can be politely argued to be right. The white supremacist side is clearly wrong. They are against decent civilization. There is no amount of someone getting in a scuffle with them that somehow makes the white supremacist side one that should be apologized to.

Robert Holmén

Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 14, 2017, 05:06PM »

The old "oh, dear...both sides do it" line rings very hollow when we know that one side was there (their stated purpose) to keep up a monument dedicated to the people who wanted to keep human slavery in this country and use it as a rallying point for their inhuman agenda.

Human slavery! Kidnapping people from their homes, forcing them into a life of hard labor and killing them if they don't give in to it. People who fought for slavery do not deserve monuments making them look valorous, and we don't need monuments feeding the fantasies of people who think they were.

This isn't a high school debate topic where either side can be politely argued to be right. The white supremacist side is clearly wrong. They are against decent civilization. There is no amount of someone getting in a scuffle with them that somehow makes the white supremacist side one that should be apologized to.

I understand how you feel.
At the same time, Robert E. Lee was an extremely relevant historical figure, particularly in Virginia. He's often seen by historians as being one of the greatest generals of the war.
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 14, 2017, 05:12PM »

Just what the world needs, continued glorification of the military complex.

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
Bimmerman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 14, 2017, 05:27PM »

I understand how you feel.
At the same time, Robert E. Lee was an extremely relevant historical figure, particularly in Virginia. He's often seen by historians as being one of the greatest generals of the war.

You can study his actions and tactics as a (by all accounts, brilliant) general without building and maintaining monuments of him that are devoted to celebrating the inhumanity that he was fighting for. He is an important historical figure, but one that should be relegated to textbooks not public spaces.

The south lost the civil war. 152 years ago. It was fought explicitly, per writings of the CSA's founders, to preserve the institution of slavery and codify white supremacy in law. Under no circumstances is that worthy of praise, celebration, or reverence, regardless of misguided bleatings about 'heritage'. That is a heritage to be downright ashamed of, not proud.

The Germans don't build monuments to the Nazis; why should we build monuments to the Confederates, when a significant portion of our population was treated just as inhumanely by them as the Jews were by the Nazis? We, as civilized folk, must not bow to their modern-day revival, and there really should not need to be debate about this subject in 20-freaking-17. It makes me extremely glad that those racists and bigots who participated in the rally are losing their jobs, their websites, and being outed publicly as the scum they are.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, Trump himself may not be an overt bigot like the protesters are, but in not disavowing them immediately and in the strongest terms, he is tacitly approving their existence and views. That is unpresidential, regardless of any of the other things he has done to earn that phrase thrown at him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: