Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086968 Posts in 71961 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-Chat(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) World's most liveable city = Melbourne
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: World's most liveable city = Melbourne  (Read 312 times)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« on: Aug 15, 2017, 11:14PM »

Once again Melbourne, Australia has been named the world's most liveable city by The Economist, receiving a perfect score for healthcare, education and infrastructure. Vienna came second, Vancouver third, Toronto fourth, Adelaide and Calgary fifth. Other Australian cities fared fairly well with Perth at number seven and Sydney ranked 11th. Brisbane could only manage 16th, but I suppose that is not so bad on a worldwide scale.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-16/melbourne-named-worlds-most-liveable-city-for-seventh-year/8812196

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2017, 11:34PM »

I am surprised Melbourne has done so well for so long. I do love my city, but there are a few issues that come with living in Melbourne. I suppose none are big issues on a world scale though.

I am leaving Melbourne to live in America for some time this coming Saturday. I am excited but will be very sad to be leaving my home.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:17AM »

My wife has rellies who live near Melbourne. Got to drop by one of these days.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03:22PM »

The one thing I will say about Melbourne is that it undoubtedly has the best jazz scene in Australia! I know quite a few people who have moved to Melbourne to take advantage of that situation.

There was a whole bunch from The Canberra School of Music who used to play the jazz festivals in the 1990s.

One from Brisbane who seems to have picked up a lot of the jazz gigs is Nikola Shaw, who plays tenor trombone, bass trombone and tuba.

Elijah,
I am wondering if you have you come across Nicola on any gigs?
And make sure you keep in touch with us and relate your American experience. Safe journey and I hope you enjoy living in the US as much as I did.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2017, 04:29PM »

The one thing I will say about Melbourne is that it undoubtedly has the best jazz scene in Australia! I know quite a few people who have moved to Melbourne to take advantage of that situation.

There was a whole bunch from The Canberra School of Music who used to play the jazz festivals in the 1990s.

One from Brisbane who seems to have picked up a lot of the jazz gigs is Nikola Shaw, who plays tenor trombone, bass trombone and tuba.

Elijah,
I am wondering if you have you come across Nicola on any gigs?
And make sure you keep in touch with us and relate your American experience. Safe journey and I hope you enjoy living in the US as much as I did.

Thanks for the kind words Graham  :) I am looking forward to the American experience. I have been practicing my American accent and I have already learned that humour is quite different there  :D

I am not familiar with Nicola sorry.... I may recognise her face, I am much better with faces than names but unfortunately over the last few years I have done very little playing outside of the orchestra scene in Melbourne which is a bit of a shame. We have amazing people and players in both of melbournes professional orchestras, they are all a plessure to hear and work with. I have a lot of friends in the jazz/Commericial scene though I will ask if any of my friends have come across her  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: