Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080924 Posts in 71552 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningBeginners and Returning Trombonists(Moderator: bhcordova) What bass trombone for a high school student?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What bass trombone for a high school student?  (Read 1079 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:24AM »

Most of the high schools around here are playing very advanced literature and the bass trombone parts in high school Jazz bands are just as challenging...

I'll just say that Rochester NY, with 13 high schools, a successful economy (and home of the Eastman School of Music) is not a typical sample of the high school music scene.

If we looked at most high schools we'd find very modest programs with incomplete instrumentation, no private lessons... just the basics to get through marching band season and pep band events and some token concerts.

If the OP knows her son needs a low B every day then, OK, maybe a double valve is in order, but it's not a common need.

Ask the band director if it's a serious need and if he or she doesn't know one way or the other... it's probably not one of those elite programs where kids are playing like pros.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:44AM »

In my opinion, if you're buying new, it's worth digging a little deeper in your wallet for the double valve, both for the utility and for easier resale.

Geezus, he sounds like my father 30 years ago. I still have the 612. Yamaha makes great horns.
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:47AM »

In line with this topic, but not adressign the OP, a young trombone-playing friend/student of mine came to me saying he was thinking of selling his YSL-354 and saving some cash to buy a bass trombone (to have alongside his large bore Bb/F horn - not sure what it is, from chatting with him it sounded like a reputable brand/model but not in great condition).

I recommended that if he just wanted to dabble/play occasionally, look into the Roy Benson line of basses - I've played a couple gigs with one and it did a good job for a $600 dual-trigger bass. I of course told him to save a couple hundred more and look into a good, used horn if he wanted to really get into bass.

I'm not a bass trombonist 'by trade', but I've played a couple of high-end basses - a single trigger 50b that was just a dream, and a Bach something-or-other that I liked a lot but didn't quite match the sound I had in my head.

He's the ONLY kid I've ever met who is as excited about music as he is, and I'm gonna try to get him to get some lessons to really get a move on improving his playing. Either way, hope I'm not leading him astray by suggesting the Roy Benson. I might get one myself even.

2˘ worth of an explosion of thoughts.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2017, 11:20AM »

I'll just say that Rochester NY, with 13 high schools, a successful economy (and home of the Eastman School of Music) is not a typical sample of the high school music scene.

If we looked at most high schools we'd find very modest programs with incomplete instrumentation, no private lessons... just the basics to get through marching band season and pep band events and some token concerts.

If the OP knows her son needs a low B every day then, OK, maybe a double valve is in order, but it's not a common need.

Ask the band director if it's a serious need and if he or she doesn't know one way or the other... it's probably not one of those elite programs where kids are playing like pros.
Agree not all communities have great programs, which is why I suggested she have a conversation with the Band director before making a purchase. 
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2017, 12:07PM »

In line with this topic, but not adressign the OP, a young trombone-playing friend/student of mine came to me saying he was thinking of selling his YSL-354 and saving some cash to buy a bass trombone (to have alongside his large bore Bb/F horn - not sure what it is, from chatting with him it sounded like a reputable brand/model but not in great condition).

I recommended that if he just wanted to dabble/play occasionally, look into the Roy Benson line of basses - I've played a couple gigs with one and it did a good job for a $600 dual-trigger bass. I of course told him to save a couple hundred more and look into a good, used horn if he wanted to really get into bass.

I'm not a bass trombonist 'by trade', but I've played a couple of high-end basses - a single trigger 50b that was just a dream, and a Bach something-or-other that I liked a lot but didn't quite match the sound I had in my head.

He's the ONLY kid I've ever met who is as excited about music as he is, and I'm gonna try to get him to get some lessons to really get a move on improving his playing. Either way, hope I'm not leading him astray by suggesting the Roy Benson. I might get one myself even.

2˘ worth of an explosion of thoughts.

It's a risk. Some of the Roy Bensons are serious Duds and have a varying quality of metal. One of my techs bought a rb Wagner tuba and it disentigrated when he took the torch to repair one of the solders. It might be fine, there have been a few people here who have said good things about them, so I wouldn't categorically rule them out per se... But For an extra $200, id definitely go Mack Brass or single valve Yamaha if I could find a used one. There is a 321 on the bay now for like $700 last I checked, fwiw.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Aug 20, 2017, 12:18AM »

It's not easy to give advice since we don't know much about him. And we dont know how motivated, his goals, his level. If I was in your shoes I would go to a local pro trombonist. Have a lesson and then ask for advice.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: