Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087340 Posts in 72018 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Bad days - do I need rest, or more practice?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bad days - do I need rest, or more practice?  (Read 1514 times)
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:35AM »

Because validation makes you weak.  :D

It is a rough, tough world ;-)

To OP: We all have bad days, different reasons. Sometimes I don't feel like playing, then I rest that day. As long as it is not rest EVERY day I will improve from the rest. Once I thought a day of no playing would hurt me but time showed me it is not at all the case. If I am too tired, out of focus for whatever reason or just exhausted physical or mentally or have sore lips. I take a day off and see if the next day is better. It usually is.

"Practise does not make perfect practise makes permanent". This means don't do more practise if it is wrong.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Bob Riddle

"Having more fun every day!!!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:54PM »

Another approach would be to practice a few short (5-15min.)sessions .Playing very softly and relaxed.Then take the rest of the day off if things don't begin to feel closer to your normal.I highly recommend as little mouthpiece pressure as you can get away with.
Begin the next day fairly to really softly and stay there volume-wise for that day.Things should really start to come back by the third day,as long as you refrain from any strenuous playing during those few days.
  Once you start back to more normal routine try to keep in mind to warm up to more full volume levels and more upper range practice.always try to keep in mind your basics,especially not to use excessive mouthpiece pressure.

Hope This Helps,

Bob Riddle
henrikbe

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2017, 03:54AM »

Wow, this is a great forum! Thanks for all your help!

I've been focusing a lot more on mid-register now, building only very slowly up to the higher parts of my range. And I think I can already notice a slightly more open sound in the high range. So from now on, I'll spend a lot more time in the third partial.

I've also contacted a local professional trombone instructor, planning to take a few lessons with him over the next few months.

Henrik
CJ

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:59AM »

I started playing again after 10 years off.  Same thing, the chops sometimes felt numb and tone suffered.  You gotta realize that even though the muscle memory may be there, your muscles themselves don't have the endurance.  You're 20 years older, man.  You wouldn't expect to play football like you did as a kid, would you?

Take a day, do some long tones and leave the horn alone for the rest of the day.  You're not a pro, so don't sweat it.  If you have high expectations for yourself, plan the next day's practice.  Practice smarter with your limited time.  You'll get there, it just takes time.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: