Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087340 Posts in 72018 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) How do you practice scales?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you practice scales?  (Read 579 times)
Parousia

View Profile
« on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:09PM »

How do you practice scales? I'm asking beyond going up and down the scale one octave. Whats a really good way of practicing a scale to really know it inside and out?
So far I've heard of several ways:

1) Practice the scale up and down the entire range of the horn
2) Arpeggiate the scale "" ""
3) Play it in thirds
4) Play it in forths
5) 1231 2342 etc. patterns

any other methods you guys use?

Amateur trombone player
Private lessons instructor
YSL-871z + Bach 7C
YSL-640 + Yamaha 48
paulyg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:24PM »

At the behest of my teacher I've been running through each scale's modes, so two octaves. Known as a 'rotating' scale. Music I downloaded here http://www.olemiss.edu/lowbrass/studio/scales/tromboneandeuphbclevel2.pdf said quarter note equals 180+; a couple months ago I switched over from eighth notes to sixteenths, and it's a great slide technique workout.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:38PM »

Arban's has ALL of those and more.  But nothing is labeled as such.  The old man knew what he was doing.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BiggieSmalls

"Visit my studio in Santa Fe, NM!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:32PM »

I like the first few pages of O. Blume 36 Studies For Trombone (Carl Fischer edition) as a daily run-through. A short scale-based etude, repeated in every key, following the circle of fifths, with emphasis on the use of extended positions.

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."- William Blake

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
paulyg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:33PM »

Arban's has ALL of those and more.  But nothing is labeled as such.  The old man knew what he was doing.

I just don't have the heart to flip through all of the stuff I'm NOT practicing...
GetzenBassPlayer

"Learn as little as you have to, as well a"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:40PM »

Do scales in as many patterns you can find or think of.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 09:18PM »

I do plenty of patterns, but I make sure to play them straight through (major, 3 minors, chromatic, major, minor, augmented, diminished arpeggios) in all 12 keys every few days. It's easy to lose the slide memory!

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:54AM »

How do you practice scales? I'm asking beyond going up and down the scale one octave. Whats a really good way of practicing a scale to really know it inside and out?
So far I've heard of several ways:

1) Practice the scale up and down the entire range of the horn
2) Arpeggiate the scale "" ""
3) Play it in thirds
4) Play it in forths
5) 1231 2342 etc. patterns

any other methods you guys use?

Yes to your list, but not only the major and minor scales (in all keys). Don't forget the pentatonic scales in all keys and the chromatic scales and the diminished scales and the whole tone scales. Have I forgot something?

The blues scales? The be-bop scales?

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:40AM »

Perhaps how should depend on why. 

If your purpose is just to know it inside and out, such that you won't be thrown by an unfamiliar key signature sightreading, most methods work.  The Arban patterns are good. Treble clef is on IMSLP free. 

If you want to ingrain slide patterns for facility, maybe a different method is better. 

If you're practicing articulation, you could download the Upside Down Scales book, free download, and apply the 12 Reinhardt tonguing patterns included. 

My brother goes up an octave, moves a half step higher, comes down that scale, moves half step, goes up.  Like, Bb scale up, B scale down, C scale up, Db down, to the limit of the horn.

I'm liking that 12 two octave scales in two minutes challenge from the other thread, because I'm struggling to maintain correct embouchure across two octaves.  I start on Eb in the staff and move down chromatically.  I haven't mastered this yet!  If you don't have a trigger horn that's about the only way to do it. Circle of 5ths is good too.   

Tim Richardson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: