Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086745 Posts in 71922 Topics- by 19222 Members - Latest Member: adrienneg
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Learning to tongue "correctly"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Learning to tongue "correctly"  (Read 1269 times)
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2017, 05:22PM »

In my previous posts I was using "dorsal" to simply indicate using part of the top of the tongue rather than the tip.  I would distinguish that from "anchor tonguing" which is keeping the tip down in the gully or behind the bottom teeth while dorsal tonguing.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2017, 01:35AM »

I've found that 15 minutes of practicing using no tongue at all, in all registers really cleans up the tongued note production. It's also a valuable way to improve focus, by playing 8th notes rising in semitones, going past top Bb and beyond..

In my reality..
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2017, 02:07AM »

In my previous posts I was using "dorsal" to simply indicate using part of the top of the tongue rather than the tip.  I would distinguish that from "anchor tonguing" which is keeping the tip down in the gully or behind the bottom teeth while dorsal tonguing.
Yes I understod you perfectly, (actually I do use the tip of my tongue for legato my self.)
I do have a long tongue, because of that my tonguing would be called "anchor tonguing".
I use D and G rather then T and K.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2017, 02:10AM »

I've found that 15 minutes of practicing using no tongue at all, in all registers really cleans up the tongued note production. It's also a valuable way to improve focus, by playing 8th notes rising in semitones, going past top Bb and beyond..
That is what I do every morning, been doing that since the 60s, (thanks to Carl-Otto Naesén.)
I really like that.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2017, 02:12AM »

Here is a copy of the Claude Gordon tongue level exercises:

http://blog.fullpartituras.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CLAUDE-GORDON-THONGUE-LEVEL-EXERCISES.pdf

He says do exercise part 1 many times a day until it becomes natural.  Hee, hee. 
Some things Claude Gordon said I like. Some things make just puzzled. I don´t agree with everything he said.

tbonegeek93

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2017, 07:54AM »

So after experimenting for about a week, I've become pretty comfortable with tonguing around the ridge of my mouth not far back from where the gums meet the teeth.  I haven't been able to get that "pop" at the front of the note, but I can get a lot more of a consistent sound across the register.  A lot of what Doug Elliot said helped.  I've also been practicing a few things with no tongue as well and that has helped with my air stream. 

Thanks again guys!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: