Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087340 Posts in 72018 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) My Use Of A Wave Editor For Practice
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Use Of A Wave Editor For Practice  (Read 933 times)
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:30AM »

You can drop both the extreme lows and highs, and shelf boost the mids a little just like you say. For a bucket mute, you might try boosting the lows or boosting the highs on the edges of the mids. For example, on a metal straight mute, the extreme lows and highs get dropped, mids stay the same, and I boosted by quite a bit in the middle high register. I really think the mic needs to be farther away and offset from the bell, especially with mutes. 20 inches is very close. Dynamic mics aren't as good for this type of placement, but ribbon and condenser mics are.

In general you'll get the best sound in a lively room with the mic placed far enough away to let the horn sound breathe but not far enough away to pick up too much of the room sound. These rooms are also easier to play in. In a dead room the mic needs to be closer, and you'll need to process the sound. Dead rooms are a lot harder to play in.

I am still trying to work on my own mic techniques so I am by no means an expert. I've considered joining a home studio forum just to learn more about it.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:36AM »

I'm going to copy and paste your post into a Word doc so I can keep it handy for review as I tinker.

If you join a recording forum, you may be sorry. lol You think WE are nuts!?!?

The Mills Brothers

...Geezer
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: