Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080934 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Denis Wick Mouthpiece booster vs Heavytop
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Denis Wick Mouthpiece booster vs Heavytop  (Read 223 times)
dsmndng

View Profile
« on: Sep 01, 2017, 02:36PM »

Out of curiosity, who has played on the same size DW mouthpiece in both the heavytop and regular+booster configurations? Any noteworthy observations or preference on which one you liked more? Sorry if I dredge up any old quarrels about heavy mouthpieces or "tone boosters."
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2017, 01:28AM »

I bought a booster of eBay cheap, and after using it for everything I've cut it back to specific situations, like playing at high volume where you need to cut through and not much else. It firms the tone up a little but with a loss of flexibility. If you can get one at the right price it might be right in certain situations, and satisfy an urge to experiment without interfering with your embouchure. I use it with a DW 9BS and K+H Bart v Lier 480/488".
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2017, 03:15AM »

Yes my experince is about the same as Pre59. I did use it for some time in the 80th. It does not make the sound better, but you cut through loud ensembles. You do pay for that with less flexibity. I think it makes you ability to colour your sound more difficult.
Some guys like it though, maybe some who likes will answer?

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: