Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086745 Posts in 71922 Topics- by 19222 Members - Latest Member: adrienneg
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Rochut's Melodious Etudes No. 24: Cut Time or 4/4?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rochut's Melodious Etudes No. 24: Cut Time or 4/4?  (Read 507 times)
Krazzikk

View Profile
« on: Sep 04, 2017, 03:20PM »

Hello all,

According to the official Florida Bandmaster's Association's pdf file with the Allstate audition requirements(found here: https://fba.flmusiced.org/media/1525/fba-allstate-2018-sb-brass-20170503.pdf), a correction was made for the lyrical exercise. They changed it from the marked half note = 120 to quarter note = 120. And thank goodness they did because it's a doozy at half note = 120. However, now I am not sure if I should play it with a cut time feel (accent on 1 and 2 [or in this case 1 and 3?]), or to play it like it is in 4/4. It feels weird playing it in 4/4 now since I had been practicing it in cut time and the way it is written lends itself to cut time. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Here is a picture of the exercise in question: http://i.imgur.com/Ft34yQ2.jpg
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2017, 03:31PM »

I play that one in cut time at about half note = 80 or so. The main thing is to make it feel lyrical. At half = 120, I'd have some trouble making it lyrical. Eeek!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2017, 03:35PM »

I also think this one "feels" in two.  I agree that H=120 is way too fast.  H=60 may feel a tad slow, but see what you can do with it.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Krazzikk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2017, 03:58PM »

I just checked it out and the play-along recording is actually exactly at half note = 60 or quarter note = 120, and since the accompaniment is just chords on 1 and 3(in 4/4) that it is to be interpreted in cut time.
David Schwartz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:06AM »

. . . Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Bordogni really meant M.M. Half-note = 120.

Number 24 was the final exercise in a book of 24 exercises. Perhaps it was an end of year or end of semester test for his opera students.  The four bar phrases make musical sense at the fast tempo!

For Number 24 Douglas Yeo has suggested a tempo of M.M. Half-note = 100 for trombonists.  In my own publications I provide a practice tempo of M.M. Half-note = 84 and also a performance tempo piano accompaniment at 120.

Incidentally, Bordogni's dynamic guidance is much more sparse than the indications in the Carl Fischer Rochut book.  Bordogni's Number 24 has only a piano at the end of measure 13 and a forte at the start of measure 23, with no crescendos at all.  For your own interpretation be subtle or be dramatic, perhaps imagining a character in a Rossini opera.

David Schwartz

David A. Schwartz, Belmont, Massachusetts
Bordogni and Breakfast Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: