Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080017 Posts in 71455 Topics- by 19045 Members - Latest Member: Old2TheBone
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Endless wind... the Aerophor!  (Read 696 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2017, 05:28PM »

How about a tube attached to a tracheotomy hole?

Now there's an idea.  But we'd all have to get tracheotomies.  I personally don't want one -- I like to be able to talk. :-P

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2017, 06:17PM »

When I was a boy it seemed like every medical drama would eventually have someone getting an emergency tracheotomy, ideally by someone who had never done it before.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2017, 05:07AM »

This is kind of ghoulish so I'll try to be sensitive.

Before polio vaccine in the mid 50s, the treatment was the iron lung, a device that squeezed your rib cage mechanically and allowed you to live.  There were thousands of people in these cages, some of them who lived 60 years or more that way.  They cost about the price of a small house in those days.

The US still has 6 or 7 people surviving in them, the UK has 1 I think, of course these numbers are a couple years old. 

One of the fears is that we no longer have anybody left who knows how to repair them. 

Tim Richardson
PhilE

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 07, 2017, 07:21AM »

Looks like it could be a challenge holding the tuba still while pumping with the right leg.

The modern day version of that would be to have a main pipe under the stage floor with bayonet type air fittings coming through the floor to which the musician plugged in his/her personal air hose.  A foot operated flow control valve would take care of volume control.:)

You could have some fun by injecting some helium into the system just upstream of the flute section to see if it improved their tuning.:D
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 07, 2017, 07:26AM »

This is kind of ghoulish so I'll try to be sensitive.

Before polio vaccine in the mid 50s, the treatment was the iron lung, a device that squeezed your rib cage mechanically and allowed you to live.  There were thousands of people in these cages, some of them who lived 60 years or more that way.  They cost about the price of a small house in those days.

The US still has 6 or 7 people surviving in them, the UK has 1 I think, of course these numbers are a couple years old. 

One of the fears is that we no longer have anybody left who knows how to repair them. 

what does this have to do with music? You forgot to tie the story in  :-P

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 07, 2017, 08:03AM »

what does this have to do with music? You forgot to tie the story in  :-P

From the iron lung, I was thinking maybe a giant blood pressure cuff could squeeze our rib cage enough to do the air support needed on trombone.

I note that Temple Grande built herself a squeeze cage out of plywood to cope with her autism symptoms, but it is not known whether she ever played trombone. 

Tim Richardson
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 07, 2017, 10:24AM »

I will pedantically note that the "iron lung" was more of a vacuum device. The reduced pressure inside the chamber allowed the higher pressure outside air to rush in through the patient's mouth and windpipe to the lungs. Then I presume there was some reverse pressure to exhale the air. Repeat.

Wikipedia says there were still 10 people on these devices in 2014

More recently, Christopher Reeve was unable to breathe on his own but he seemed to have been outfitted with a tube that blew air in through a throat hole.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: