Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080820 Posts in 71543 Topics- by 19060 Members - Latest Member: Areon Tomek
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 1671 times)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:42PM »

I think that Hurricane Irma probably needs its own topic now. Latest news I have heard is that 90 per cent of the buildings on the island of Barbuda have been destroyed. That is a lot of destruction.

President Trump, whose waterfront Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, could take a direct hit from the storm, has already approved emergency declarations for Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, mobilising federal disaster relief efforts.

And there could be more to come with Hurricane Jose, in the open Atlantic, about 1,610 kilometres east of the Caribbean's Lesser Antilles islands, which could also eventually threaten the US mainland.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 08:00PM »

Harvey... Irma... Jose...

How many more letters are there in this alphabet?!?

FYI... There are no hurricanes "Donald" but there was a tropical storm "Don" this year.  The "Don" name will return in 2023.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2017, 08:04PM »

From NYT

‘Barbuda is literally rubble,’ but Antigua is spared.

Early on Wednesday, Prime Minister Gaston Browne of Antigua and Barbuda said his nation had been spared the worst of the hurricane, declaring in a statement, “The essential point is that our main infrastructure has stood up and our country can resume normal life within hours.” He went so far as to add, “I dare to say that no other country in the Caribbean would have been as well prepared as we were.”

This turned out to be stunningly inaccurate: While the damage in Antigua was not as severe as expected, Mr. Browne announced in the afternoon that 95 percent of all structures on its sister island, Barbuda, had been damaged or destroyed, rendering the island “barely habitable.” A telecommunications tower was broken in two. At least one person, an infant, was killed.

Barbuda, home to about 1,600 people (3 percent of the country’s population), “is literally rubble,” the prime minister told ABS TV/Radio Antigua.

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2017, 08:07PM »

There's also Katia, which is headed to Veracruz Mexico.  Probably cross Mexico and become a Pacific storm.  Will it get a new name if it does?

I said in the other thread: this is a great time for President Trump to vacation and golf in Mar-A-Lago Evil

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2017, 08:51PM »

It'll be Katia II: Electric Boogaloo

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2017, 09:45PM »

A few friends of mine were last trapped inside a hotel on St. Martin from what I know. Haven't heard from them in over 12 hours now. Hoping for good news soon.

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2017, 04:50AM »

I had never even heard of Barbuda until yesterday. Prayers to those unfortunates on that small island. We're really hoping this storm does the veer to the right it looks like it's trying to.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
badger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2017, 08:26AM »

FYI:

https://www.windy.com/?26.352,-61.084,4
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2017, 08:31AM »

Current track has it making landfall on the Georgia coast and heding north northwest.  Watch out, tsmart!

Bruce Guttman
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2017, 10:41AM »

What's really striking about that map is that down by Antarctica they have hurricane strength winds... and there's no storm. It's just really windy!

Robert Holmén

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2017, 11:19AM »

From time to time, there has been [not terribly serious] talk of the Turks and Caicos becoming a Canadian province. A Canadian Caribbean getaway.

I see these small islands were directly in Irma's path. By the time Irma blows itself out, the T&C might be piled up on the Nova Scotia shore.

Today's forecast (for wind) starting at 3:00 pm (by the hour):

192 km/h
203 km/h
204 km/h
158 km/h
97 km/h

Definitely not beach weather.
bubbachet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2017, 11:41AM »

Two 500-year storms back-to-back.

Can we talk about Climate Change in this thread?

"Conn 88H" - SL4747 Slide, Rath-built Rotax section, Bernd Sandner Rose Bell w/ Nickel Kranz
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2017, 12:04PM »

No.  It's North Korea's nuclear tests :-P :-P Evil

Bruce Guttman
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2017, 01:23PM »

I had never even heard of Barbuda until yesterday. Prayers to those unfortunates on that small island. We're really hoping this storm does the veer to the right it looks like it's trying to.

I've heard of Pete Barbuti though.....

hehe

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
sowilson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2017, 01:45PM »

Hurricanes are a deep state plot - I don't believe that hurricanes exist.  If Rethuglicans don't believe in climate change then I don't believe in hurricanes.  It's all a ruse to siphon off tax dollars from decent northerners.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2017, 02:15PM »

Hurricanes are a deep state plot - I don't believe that hurricanes exist.  If Rethuglicans don't believe in climate change then I don't believe in hurricanes.  It's all a ruse to siphon off tax dollars from decent northerners.

And remember, those same people came up pretty stingy when Superstorm (it was after Hurricane season) Sandy nailed the North.

Bruce Guttman
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2017, 03:06PM »

Actually, since Drumpf has been so incompetent and hasn't gotten around to appointing a lot of the people who should be running the agencies involved, it is the Deep State burueaucrats he hates so much that are doing such a competent and heroic job managing the aftermath and lead-ups to these natural crises.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2017, 03:18PM »

On the news last night we had a reporter live from the Dominican Republic and, since the eye of the hurricane did not directly hit Puerto Rico as feared but passed to the north, the battering was not so severe as expected. However, it was bad enough to cause high winds and heavy rains, three people were killed, and around two-thirds of the population lost their electricity.

Irma then moved west-north-west off the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, heading slightly north of Haiti. Impoverished Haiti has been particularly vulnerable to hurricanes in the past and the United Nations Children's Fund has warned that millions of children could be at risk in the two countries, which share the island of Hispaniola. I have been to Haiti and it is a beautiful island, but so sad to see the living conditions of so many people.

The hurricane then moved on Cuba, where they began evacuating many of the 51,000 tourists visiting the island, particularly some 36,000 people at resorts on the picturesque northern coast, most of them Canadians.

According to the NHC, Irma will likely hit Florida as a very powerful category four system on Sunday, with storm surges and flooding beginning within the next 48 hours. Trump has said, "To the people of Florida, we just want you to protect yourselves, be very very vigilant and careful."

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2017, 03:24PM »

Actually, since Drumpf has been so incompetent and hasn't gotten around to appointing a lot of the people who should be running the agencies involved, it is the Deep State burueaucrats he hates so much that are doing such a competent and heroic job managing the aftermath and lead-ups to these natural crises.
Sure Russ. Looks like He handled Texas well. No complaints there. Funds are on their way and he donated 1,000,000.
And Gov Scott(R) is on it too. As is Gov Abott(R).

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
badger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2017, 03:49PM »

This is not a PP thread. Take 'Your Bilge' to PP.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: