Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092470 Posts in 72278 Topics- by 19421 Members - Latest Member: Decifix
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Local music store blew me away!  (Read 1171 times)
gregs70

View Profile
« on: Sep 06, 2017, 08:04PM »

On another thread I covered my search for a better bucket mute than my old Humes and Berg Stonelined.  I found several on line but hate to buy something like that without trying it.  I went to my local family owned music store, Royalton Music, to see what they had and found a Jo-Ral.  I balked at the price tag of "$150 msrp, our price $104" and the guy behind the counter looked up my phone number, found I was a customer, and offered $75 out the door including tax.  I checked on line and the big internet sellers wanted $85!  That a local store would deal like that with customers really impressed me.  I encourage all players to give their local store a shot at your business vs. always bypassing them and going to the internet.   

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
FlamingRain
1. Posaune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 08:53PM »

I agree with you to always support local businesses first, but there are a lack of serious music stores in the state of Washington. The only real big stores we have are Ted Brown or Kennelly Keys, which are great but are chains and are mostly public school oriented. The few local music stores that exist barely have anything worthwhile in them that would be useful to me, which is why I generally order online.

Sascha Burckhardt

Edwards T396-A
Doug Elliott
XT Lexan N106 - G - G8
YSL-354, YSL-671
XT Lexan N106 - C+ - D3
RMTrombone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2017, 10:31PM »

After two music stores in our region went out of business, I try buy what I can from local stores.
I had to order Yamaha Slide Lubricant (yamasnot). Now they carry it, and it's cheaper than Amazon, and with no shipping.
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2017, 10:38PM »

I encourage all players to give their local store a shot at your business vs. always bypassing them and going to the internet.   
Ehhh that still depends. I refuse to let other people go to our local music store because it is so horrid. They have bad service, lack of basic knowledge when it comes to musical instruments and most of the stuff they sell is junk.

On the other hand I always recommend in spades people take the extra 30 minutes to drive out to Horn Guys and the Brass Ark!

Minick Custom Bass Trombone, 1980's, Doug Elliott LB
Conn 8H, 1950's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2017, 05:05AM »

Do you have some sort of picket line or blockade set up outside that music store?

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2017, 06:58AM »

I can't even get my local store to stock Yamasnot.

Let's face it, if most local stores had to depend on selling trombones they would be out of business in a week. But every kid out there thinks he is going to be a rock star, so guitars and drums are where the money is made. I don't blame them for stocking what sells.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2017, 07:20AM »

I have a sure-fire formula for having a million dollars. First, I buy an obscure local mom & pop music store for a two million dollars net worth. I do no advertising and no repairs but I am open 'round the clock, fully staffed. I show customers my stuff; let them demo it and if they like it, I tell them where they can get the exact same thing much cheaper off the Internet. When I am down to one million dollars net worth, I retire. Easy-peasy.

In reality, I go to a music store for my instructional sessions. When I am there, I try desperately to buy something; anything - as long as I can use it.

...The Entrepreneurial Geezer
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2017, 08:25AM »

Do you have some sort of picket line or blockade set up outside that music store?
Haha practically Pant

Minick Custom Bass Trombone, 1980's, Doug Elliott LB
Conn 8H, 1950's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
Stretch Longarm
old enough to know better

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2017, 10:10AM »

I agree with you to always support local businesses first, but there are a lack of serious music stores in the state of Washington. The only real big stores we have are Ted Brown or Kennelly Keys, which are great but are chains and are mostly public school oriented. The few local music stores that exist barely have anything worthwhile in them that would be useful to me, which is why I generally order online.

Down in Vancouver WA, Beacock Music is a school-oriented store, but they also treat musicians well, and stock a lot of accessories. They too will at least match prices if not beat them. Great store, with strings, brass, guitar, bass, drum, electronics/amp depts. Decent repair shop too. And nice staff.

trombone airflow is 360 degrees. Think about it.
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2017, 06:36AM »

I use local stores for the stuff they carry. Unfortunately they don't carry much anymore. Most instruments you would want to buy as a brass player would have to be ordered in.  Most music stores these days bread and butter is Guitars, amps, sound reinforcement equipment, etc.  Very few other than stocking a few beginners lesson books carry much in the way of sheet music.  So other than the occasional valve oil, slide cream, music stands, etc.  there isn't a lot you can actually get at the local music store.  When it comes to band instruments many of them (there are exceptions) don't have any clue about what they are selling, so there is really no reason to order a Trombone through a store and pay more for it, if they can't support it after the sale.  I understand the cost of a store doing business these days, and they really can't afford to keep huge inventories of instruments that won't sell, but in most cases they just become a middleman and add extra cost to the more expensive items.  I don't think I could go to any of our local music stores and find a bass trombone Mute of any type in stock to try.  Most also only stock common student mouthpiece sizes.  I play several instruments besides Brass (keyboards, guitar, and Bass guitar) and use local stores for most of those needs.  So I use a combined approach, if they stock, or can support it after the sale I'll buy it through the local store, If I have to order don't expect to need after sales support I will buy it on-line.
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2017, 04:38PM »

So I use a combined approach, if they stock, or can support it after the sale I'll buy it through the local store, If I have to order don't expect to need after sales support I will buy it on-line.

You also have a middle option.  Hickey's is, what, 90 minutes away?  If I need to try mouthpieces, I know the locals aren't going to have many choices, but mail order can be an awkward way to buy a mouthpiece.  I've never regretted a road trip to Ithaca. 

Local music stores near where I work, live and play have taken good care of me when I've needed repairs, so I do need to support them as best I can.

Steven Cangemi

Let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it!
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2017, 04:52PM »

You also have a middle option.  Hickey's is, what, 90 minutes away?  If I need to try mouthpieces, I know the locals aren't going to have many choices, but mail order can be an awkward way to buy a mouthpiece.  I've never regretted a road trip to Ithaca. 

Local music stores near where I work, live and play have taken good care of me when I've needed repairs, so I do need to support them as best I can.
Good suggestion, I don't get to Ithaca very often but I'll have to give Hickey's a visit next time I head that way, I am in need of a Bass trombone case for a 10" bell think they have them in stock?
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2017, 07:56PM »

Good suggestion, I don't get to Ithaca very often but I'll have to give Hickey's a visit next time I head that way, I am in need of a Bass trombone case for a 10" bell think they have them in stock?

They have plenty of bass cases.  Do they have one you want?  I don't know.  http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/accessories/cases/all_bass_trombone_cases_and_bags.php

Steven Cangemi

Let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: