Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080322 Posts in 71494 Topics- by 19054 Members - Latest Member: trombonejb
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformancePerformance(Moderator: BGuttman) Performing the L'Arlesienne Suite #2 by Geortes Bizet
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Performing the L'Arlesienne Suite #2 by Geortes Bizet  (Read 943 times)
randyb

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2017, 10:19PM »

Thanks Scott,
We had rehearsal tonight and I was able to play the second part at the tempo the conductor took it going from 5-2 positions.  I am sure it will be faster by concert time but at least it seems possible.
Sure enough, the third player decided it would be best to let the first player play the solo!!
We had a lot of fun.
Thanks for everyone's comments.
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:05PM »

Bruce for what it's worth Allegro Vivace, which is more or less the same thing as Allegro Vivo Deciso, is usually only around 170-180 which is still much slower then 208. I think you guys are still making it out to be faster then it really is.

Holton TR 185 1960's, Doug Elliott LB
Shires Dependent TruBores 2010's, Doug Elliott LB
King 3B 1980's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2017, 12:34PM »

It's all in the wrist.

Brass repair, modifications, custom parts and instruments

http://brassmedic.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2017, 01:04PM »

Bruce for what it's worth Allegro Vivace, which is more or less the same thing as Allegro Vivo Deciso, is usually only around 170-180 which is still much slower then 208. I think you guys are still making it out to be faster then it really is.

The actual tempo is dependent on the guy waving the stick with his back to the audience.  There is a recording of the Really Terrible Orchestra doing it at around 108 in that section (and it's funny as well as terrible).

A smart conductor won't ask more from his orchestra than they can produce, and anything from a brisk clip to mayhem is OK as long as the players play it cleanly.  I'm pretty sure that when I did it, we weren't at 208 either; probably more like 160 (which was about all our string players could manage).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2017, 01:35PM »

If not for the composer and his nationality, I'd think a valve trombone would be appropriate. You can pretend you're in Italy or Eastern Europe during the 19th century playing Bizet. Then it becomes appropriate.

Looks like Bizet spent lots of time in Italy, where valve trombones were indeed the standard. The tempo you describe doesn't seem right though....

Valve trombone was actually in vogue in Paris (and France) at the time, so it is not unlikely at all that the trombonists at the Théâtre du Vaudeville were using valves, or at least that Bizet had valve trombones in mind.

Or maybe he just didn't know how to write idiomatically and effectively for the instrument - quite probable given how boring and insipid most of his trombone parts are :-P

Maximilien Brisson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: