Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088268 Posts in 71901 Topics- by 19302 Members - Latest Member: Westport281
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) What's the difference between Olds 1 and Olds 1* mouthpieces?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's the difference between Olds 1 and Olds 1* mouthpieces?  (Read 238 times)
Hammer

View Profile
« on: Sep 17, 2017, 09:33AM »

When I was searching for the perfect mouthpiece for my Olds Super a few years ago, I bought an Olds 1 mouthpiece from a fellow forum member, and I couldn't be happier. 2 weeks ago, I bought an Olds Ambassador A-20, with the F-attachment, and included was an Olds 1* mouthpiece, with a different style of writing than my other mouthpiece. After some research, including on this forum, I found out that the 1* was the standard to be included with the A-20, but that was about it. There may be some slight difference in manufacturing, but that was unclear online. Anybody know what the difference is, if there is a difference?

Here are some pictures of the mouthpieces: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e73mtdh16pmmcp9/AADN83UkleF5dnFefeGLD-4Ha?dl=0

Nothing's impossible, just mathematically improbable.
Hammer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2017, 08:07PM »

Last night I tried out my Olds Ambassador A-20 in a community orchestra since I just got it back from the shop, and tried out the Olds 1 * mouthpiece that came with it. Man, I was able to blend wonderfully, get soft without loosing tone, and get loud without red-lining (which I was trying to do for a few measures for "research purposes"). I am so happy with this horn. And the mouthpiece is great. It feels just like my other Olds 1 mouthpiece though, so I could not tell the difference, except that one has less wear than the other. Any ideas on what the difference is, if there is one?

Nothing's impossible, just mathematically improbable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: